• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle ID help!

Looking at the pupil (from what I can see) it's not a bandensis. It's gonna be tough to ID this one mainly because we don't know where it's really from. I also notice they're two bumps on it's mantle, never seen this on any of my cuttles, only from a couple I've seen at the LFS, I'll see what I can dig out from there. How's it doing so far? (feeding yet? etc)

Thanks for the comments and the great descriptions!!

Im still unsure of it being a S. Aculeatus.

There are a few things that do not fit your description.

-Ive not seen it ink yet although I startled it a couple times...In the begining of the "Hovercraft video" you can see it goto light speed :biggrin2: This was because I grabbed the camera real quick. For the first half of the day, it was shy of me and slowly retreated when it saw me.. Also, the one other "Fact" given to me by the lfs was that this captive raised species was less prone to ink. So who knows...

-I think my descriptions earlier wee a little vague in terms of color. I was stating that the baby bandenesis seem to range from white to dark red. But this new cuttle is not like that. He ranges to silvery grey, browns, with random spots/patterns. Mostly light to darker browns...

-In pictures Ive found about S. Aculeatus, they show a distinct ring on the center back. I dont think this guy has this.

This guy is definetly very cute..actually hes looking at me through the glass right now :lol:

Ill try for better pictures soon...How do you take good clear pics without the actinics blueing the picture out??

If they are captive rasied in LA..the breeder must not have an internet presence for we would have surely heard from him....

Call the LFS and see if you can get more information about where it came from. Perhaps you will talk to someone else who will tell you more.

Check your exposure settings on your camera! :biggrin2:

Ill try bugging them again for more information....

I was able to catch some close up videos that were pretty fun...

He seems very active during the day...Pretty much Whenever I look over there hes doing something..and once he sees me come closer..he will slowly hide but keep his eyes in view to watch me...

Also, he seems to often have these spots that go around the side to back of his mantle..They look like UFO Lights :lol:

Here they are..You will need to wait for it to load for it to play smoothly...

Hunting Mode

Walking on 2 legs....

From your latest videos I can see that you're right, not everything matches. The shape of the actual cuttle I had bulges behind the head, then dips, then turns up at the tip. Also the head seems smaller in proportion to the body than yours. But it's weird, because that "skin-peeling" thing is the same, as is the UFO lights around the edge.

So the identity of this little guy is still mysterious...

I havent seen this skin peeling affect since though, so maybe that was something that occurred near acclimation..Hes got a strong appetite and seems to be doing well.

I hope whatever species he is..That he will stay on the smaller side or I will need to find him a new home..

Thanks!

Sorry for bringing this post back up, but ive grown very attached to this guy, so it would be nice to know how long I will be able to keep him.

Ive had him for 2 weeks now and he may have grown a little.
Feeding him 2 times a day..shrimp or crab, hes maybe 1.65 inches if that. This should give an idea of its growth rate.

Here are some better pictures I just took. I tried to get one of most his normal color shades with a different angle..

dsc01376small5qh.jpg

dsc01363small8qh.jpg

dsc01399small5pe.jpg

dsc01369small1gw.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back