• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle Hatchlings: First Foods?

I've read around quite a bit, but I'm still trying to solve the first food problem. I know mysid shrimp are supposed to be the first food, but I am trying to avoid them. Would amphipods make a suitable first food? If size is the problem, could amphipods be cultured and the young amphipods be fed to the cuttles? Also, the same two previous questions again, but regard shore shrimp instead of amphipods.

I am an octopus keeper and not experienced with cuttles. That being said, as staff I read all threads. The only common food that has been regularly successful has been live mysid. It would be nice to find less expensive and easier to keep/raise foods but all other attempts have resulted in total animal loss. The only other common food that we have seen them eat well but NOT survive has been new hatched brine (with and without supplementation). There are likely other foods but amphipods and shore shrimp have been tried unsuccessfully.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back