• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

cuttle food

morpheus

Hatchling
Registered
Hello

I know there are enough threads in this forum about cuttle food but what i was wondering about is that brine shrimp doesnt seem to be a proper food for cuttles but i´ve found nothing about what brine shrimp got as food.
Has they been raised with yeast or something more valuable like live micro algae ?
I would not risk to raise my first sepia i´ll get with brine shrimp because they are cheap, not a chance.

I´m alread?y breeding a kind Palaemon shrimp(how to you call them in english ghost shrimp? ) as food for the cuttles.
To you think the shrimp-larvae could replace mysis as first food?
To produce enough of the larvae is a lot easier then breed mysis :biggrin2:

at least i beg you all to correct me if i wrote something completely strange in my post.

yes sure i can get some amphipods there are some of them in my reeftanks , i´m aware that they also will make a good first food.
just wanted to know about the brine shrimp not really want to try it on my cuttles.

the adult shrimps are about 1.5 inch and the size of larvae depends on how old they are they hatch at about 0.15 inch. (4mm)
it´s a saltwater shrimp

You will be fine as long as you have amphipods. You can always try the larvae and see if the cuttlefish are interested. Somewhere there is a study on the nutritional value of brine shrimp. I will see if I can find it.

you also can feed brine shrimps form time to time. I feed them one week because NOTHING else where available. The cuttles don't love it to eat them, but they eat.

In a short time brine shrimps will do it. but don't let it be the main part of feed

Welcome to tonmo!

The Palaemon shrimp larvae should be fine as a fist food. I have noticed that amphipods don't make a great first food. The cuttles have a hunting learning curve, and amphipods are hard, strong and fast, so they can be problematic for hatchling cuttles. The P larvae should be pretty good and as the cuttles the shrimp themselves make a great food.

As has been poninted out, brine are just a not good food for cephs, though it can, grudgingly, be used in emergencies.

morpheus;136760 said:
Hello

I know there are enough threads in this forum about cuttle food but what i was wondering about is that brine shrimp doesnt seem to be a proper food for cuttles but i´ve found nothing about what brine shrimp got as food.
Has they been raised with yeast or something more valuable like live micro algae ?
I would not risk to raise my first sepia i´ll get with brine shrimp because they are cheap, not a chance.

I´m alread?y breeding a kind Palaemon shrimp(how to you call them in english ghost shrimp? ) as food for the cuttles.
To you think the shrimp-larvae could replace mysis as first food?
To produce enough of the larvae is a lot easier then breed mysis :biggrin2:

at least i beg you all to correct me if i wrote something completely strange in my post.

New hatch brine shrimp (less than 12 hours old) have a little nutritional value because of their yolk but it is not possible to enrich them other than with something that might coat them as they don't eat at this stage.

I think there have been enough failed attempts at trying to raise these guys on enriched bbs or bs that we don't have to try it again. :biggrin2:

thanks for the replies, especially the one about my shrimp :smile: so i´m going to breed them in sufficient numbers to be prepared for my first cuttles.
i thought cuttle hatchlings feed on bigger brine shrimp not newly hatched ones :shock: ok i see, brine shrimp are now totally out of my food list for cuttles.

Thales,
As often as this is discussed, we need to keep in mind that each discussion is new to the member and until we can goad Monty or Tony (who is doing some mysterious work) into spending lots of time creating something like a wikipedia, searching for older topics is not a viable way to find answers.

Hopefully neither you nor morpheus took my comments as a positive use of brine for food. Morpheus' direct question about altering the brine food had not been addressed and I may have been too brief (:sagrin:) in my reply. I wanted him to understand that feeding brine good food was not an alternative to making them more beneficial as the only state they have any benefit at all is before they begin eating.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back