• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle fish lighting and care

aromantis

Cuttlefish
Registered
I just wanted to know what kind of lighting a single S. bandensis in a 29 gal tank would need. Are they diurnal or nocturnal? I would probably get an egg so would i be able to put it in the 29 gal or should i keep it in a smaller tank until its bigger so it doesnt get lossed? How long do they live? I live somewhat close to a beach with lots of amphipods and small shrimp so i could try and culture them. How many pods/shrimp should i feed as a baby and how much and what should i feed as an adult? Sorry for all the questions i just want to do this rite because my lfs can get them. O ya i would make sure to cycle for atleast three months.

Stay away from strong/bright lights. A regular flourescent bulb should suffice.

I would go ahead and place the egg in the 29 g so you do not have to worry about catching the hatchling and transferring it over. Only bad things can happen during that process. Perhaps you can fashion a floating cage or critter cage until the hatchling is big enough. That would be a much easier introduction.

Life span is not much more than a year, although a singe animal may live longer than animals in a group. Average life span is about 6-8 months. Some cuttlefish have tripled their average life span when solitary. There is no competition and no reproductive behaviors (the driving factor in cephalopod mortality).

As a hatchling you should feed it as much as possible; six times a day if that can be managed. Be sure not to overfeed during the feedings. Uneaten food can be a nuisance to the hatchling. Feed to satiation.

As an adult they can be weened onto frozen fish/ shrimp. If you are close to shore then I would suggest keeping their diet on live food such as crabs or shrimp, if possible.

I am sure that there is more information in some of the past threads as well so you might want to check those.

Greg

aromantis;100400 said:
I just wanted to know what kind of lighting a single S. bandensis in a 29 gal tank would need. Are they diurnal or nocturnal?

Regular flourescent is fine. They don't need bright lights. They will eat any time of day, but I really only find them active on their own at night.

I would probably get an egg so would i be able to put it in the 29 gal or should i keep it in a smaller tank until its bigger so it doesnt get lossed?

Smaller is better at first, so you can make sure they are eating. Net breeders are useful in your tank for young so you don't have to have two separate tanks.

How long do they live?

From hatching in captivity, generally about a year.

I live somewhat close to a beach with lots of amphipods and small shrimp so i could try and culture them.

Culturing generally is more work than it is worth.

How many pods/shrimp should i feed as a baby and how much and what should i feed as an adult?

Depends on the size and depends on what you are feeding. I feed babies mysids three or four times a day. As they get larger I drop to once or twice a day.

Sorry for all the questions i just want to do this rite because my lfs can get them. O ya i would make sure to cycle for atleast three months.

I suggest this you read this article - Cephalopod Care as well as some of the 'egg' threads.

ok. i actually read that article along with another on this website as well as many threads. THere were just some details not fully addressed. Also, i was wonderin wat temp i should keep the rank at to make sure the cuttle lives as long as possible. And i was also wondering if cuttles will take food from ur hand like many octos do. And do they bite often and because they are so small does it really hurt like some of the larger octos. My last question (for now) how should the tnk be aquascaped? I know that macro algae is used so the cuttles can cling on but should there also be live rocks and pvc for caves? Honestly i dont even know what macro algae is i looked it up on google images and gots of different looking things.THX for all the help.:biggrin2:

There is a wide variety of macro algae's. Caulerpa is very hardy and does well without bright lighting, but at the same time, it can take over your tank, and whatever other water system it enters.

I would not recommend adding caulerpa to any tank. As AM pointed out, it can take over a tank. I have seen this happen on numerous occasions and the process of eradicating it is tedious.

Temperature should be kept around 78 F.

Use a feed pole or a broadcast instead.

The bite is no worse than an octopus or squid bite.

Greg

Ok so are there any other macro algaes that are easy to keep in lower lighting such as plain flurescent? Preferably one of the more colorful ones.

THX everyone. I have officially decided to get a S. bandensis. THe tank is much smaller and cheaper. ill put it on my desk. One last thing; i g on 10 day vacations every summer so if i got some one to come over and feed my cuttle during that time would it be okay? He comes everytime and feeds my birds, lizard, turtle, and fish. (one saltwater reef). Or could i just feed a lot of food before i go and let the cuttle hunt the food down for a couple days. Then maybe the person could do the same like 4 days later.

aromantis;103631 said:
THX everyone. I have officially decided to get a S. bandensis. THe tank is much smaller and cheaper. ill put it on my desk. One last thing; i g on 10 day vacations every summer so if i got some one to come over and feed my cuttle during that time would it be okay? He comes everytime and feeds my birds, lizard, turtle, and fish. (one saltwater reef). Or could i just feed a lot of food before i go and let the cuttle hunt the food down for a couple days. Then maybe the person could do the same like 4 days later.

Don't overload the tank with food items, they might foul up the water and you won't be there to fix it. I would have someone check on it and feed it daily.

there are several different types of caulerpa advailable not all are "BAD", I dont think any are bad its been my experience that with caulerpa profilia (i miss spelled that i am sure) that as long as you keep it trimed, it will be fine and not go asexual, if you are a person who is not big on taking care of your tank it might not be a good choice for you, but i have ran in it my tank and refugiums since i first started in this hobby, with no ill effects,

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back