[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Cuttle Farm Army's newest Recruits! 7 Bandensis!

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice! :biggrin2: I love it when this is happening!

You should easily get more than 100 eggs per pair if all goes well. I am anxious to see what the fertility rates are like in your tank.
The aren't really aqua cultured, they are captive raised. I think its important that we make sure to not confuse two!
3 months is when they start to show sexyness (my 3 month olds started yesterday).
Only 3 or 4 of my 10 or 12 had face burn. :biggrin2:

Could you try to pay particular attention to the pairing - do they stay in the pairs, or do multiple males copulate with particular females?

Reaction score
Thales;111444 said:
Could you try to pay particular attention to the pairing - do they stay in the pairs, or do multiple males copulate with particular females?
Hey Rich, I noticed with this group and my previous ones that the males do have a 'chosen' female. In my last group, I had more males then females. The pairing stayed the same until one of the mated males died. The very next day, I saw the widowed female with a new male.

It appears that once a male and female pair up, the male becomes very protective of the female. He will stop any advances from other males. Perhaps its this male behavior that keeps them monogamous. :biggrin2:

From watching your adult male in action, I feel that a much larger male may be able to force himself onto a mated pair. When I put the 4 months old with him (2 females and 1 male), The older male forced himself almost immediately onto one of the females. She was definitely unwilling for he would chase her around and eventually grab her with an arm. He would then position her to be face to face with him. After I put the 4 month olds in, I lost track of which female belonged to the 4 month old male. But It appeared that the larger male could have easily taken either. Regardless, after a few days, theres no fighting or chasing. They both are paired up and stay with the same female. Smalls signs of aggression appear through zebra patterns and displays, but nothing that worries me.

I feel that the even pairing of males to females really affects the harmony of the group. My last batches always had more males then females and fighting and biting etc were much more common. This also may be why it seemed my last batches were a little more active. They probably felt more threatened by each other all the time.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Paradox;111448 said:
Hey Rich, I noticed with this group and my previous ones that the males do have a 'chosen' female. In my last group, I had more males then females. The pairing stayed the same until one of the mated males died. The very next day, I saw the widowed female with a new male.
Super interesting. In my tanks, they don't pair off unless I put a pair into their own area. I see a lot of the group behavior that gets talked about with S apima breeding in OZ - sneaker males and such.

It appears that once a male and female pair up, the male becomes very protective of the female. He will stop any advances from other males. Perhaps its this male behavior that keeps them monogamous. :biggrin2:
Weird! Lots of group sex in my house.
I feel that the even pairing of males to females really affects the harmony of the group. My last batches always had more males then females and fighting and biting etc were much more common. This also may be why it seemed my last batches were a little more active. They probably felt more threatened by each other all the time.

This was my feeling too. Glad to have a preview of my plan before I do it in the next month or so!

Reaction score
Thales;111575 said:
Weird! Lots of group sex in my house.
Wow thats strange. Maybe its because of the crazy glass sculpture you have hanging in your cuttle room! Or perhaps its due to the amount of cuttles you have together. Right now, in the 150 are only 4 Bandensis. Thats a lot of room for them. The other 2 are in the juvenile section. How are yours divided up and how many do you have?

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. I got in some trouble for that piece. I made it about restraint, but the crufication made it hard for people to see anything else. The story of my glass --- Hitlers with flowers in their hair went over somewhat better. :biggrin2:

Sorry for the hijack!

Reaction score
LOL...yes thats the one Im talking about!

I actually just looked through your glass work section for the fist time the other day. Nice work. I like the one near your reef tank the best.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
See! See how I had a problem! It didn't even occur that that pic might be not right for this site! :biggrin2: I removed it but left the link - please someone let me know if the link should be removed as well!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeppelin

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan