[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Cuttle Farm Army's newest Recruits! 7 Bandensis!

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Paradox, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

I am currently raising a batch of 7 Bandensis. Originally, I had purchased 8 eggs in which all have hatched. However, after a water change, I found one of the babies dead the next day. Im unsure if this was related to the water change. Currently this batch is 1 month old and recently moved from eating mysids to larger shore shrimp.

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just Hatched
    [​IMG]

More recent pics coming up!

2. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Go Daniel Go!

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I'd forgotten how cute they are. Maybe I will try again next year ...

4. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Hi :baby:. I remember how cute they are and how nerve-wracking that first month is...

5. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Where'd you find eggs?

6. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Awww....very cute.....good luck with them!:smile:

7. aximbigfan

aximbigfan GPO Registered

What are those giant black balls? Are they the eggs?

Chris

8. simple

simple Vampyroteuthis Registered

yes those are the eggs.

9. zombie

zombie Blue Ring Supporter

where does one purchase either eggs or young specimens?

10. Oktoputeao

Oktoputeao O. bimaculoides Registered

Nice job Paradox! I read you, but I never say nothing because I have nothing to aport, I havn't tank and no octopus, the only that I have is ilusion and wanting to learn about ceph ( and english :tomato:)

Great job, man. Someday I'll hope to have a nice tank and animals like you or some have on this forum.

Good luck with it! Keep us informed.

Cheers
    Carles

11. Brock Fluharty

Brock Fluharty Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Let us know if your hands get too full...i'm sure many of us would be willing to buy the little buggers!

>: )

Lol, only joking. I'll be praying that they make it!!

12. Paradox

Sorry for the late update. Here are some pictures and a quick video I threw together.

[​IMG]
    With Big Shrimps in thier Mouths

[​IMG]
    Here they are in a dark red/maroon color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And unfortunately, an unexplained death occurred yesterday. So I have a total of 6 Bandensis at 1 months old.

[​IMG]

13. Paradox

Thanks everyone for the kind words. These eggs were from aquatropics in Gainesville. Ask for Munna. Nice guy.

Hopefully, Ill be able to get some viable eggs, but well see. *tentacles crossed* !!

Also for anyone interested, I purchased my mysids from http://www.aquaculturestore.com/ and did not experience much canabolism. I fed them frozen cyclopseeze or pellets.

14. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

hope they grow up well
    i had an o. bimaculatus who hatched her eggs.none survived since they were planktonic and i couldnt feed them and they were killed by the filter.
    anyway good luck!

MAY CEPHALOPODS BE BESTOWED ETERNAL GLORY!

15. Paradox

This is a late update, but my cuttles are doing well. A couple months back, I got a single adult male from Thales since he had too much testosterone in his system. The adult male may be the end of his life cycle and has been in my main display for a couple months. It has recently showed less interest in food eating a large shore shrimp once a day or every two days. I believe this is due to him nearing the last stages of his life.

The juveniles are getting large quick reaching 1-1.75 inches. I have trained them to eat frozen shrimp and currently feed them Grass shrimp purchased from the local bait shop. This is the youngest Ive managed to train bandensis to do this and it will save me a lot of $$$. Feeding a lot of food since hatching allowed them to grow at a faster rate then I have ever had before. I also encouraged them to start eating prey much larger then they are early on, which improves their hunting confidence and allowed them to grow faster. This then saves me a lot of money because they can now eat frozen or live shrimp that is purchased by the lb at a bait shop verses shipping expensive live marine shrimp to my house.

Heres an image of the adult and a couple raw videos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. MsV

MsV Blue Ring Registered

Heh. You accompanied the vid with Ladytron. Cute! :)

17. Paradox

Heres an update on my current batch of Bandensis in my 150.

A couple weeks ago, I transfered 3 bandensis of almost 4 months of age into the main 150 display tank. There was already an adult Male bandensis in the display. The adult is about 4 "s and full grown. The 4 month olds are about 2-3 "s. Once I placed them into the 150, signs of male aggression from the adult began. The adult male also seemed to force himself onto one of the females. Ive introduced different aged cuttles that have had no exposure to each other once before and did not have any problems. However, the adult male's aggression had me worried. I tried to catch the newly introduced cuttles, but was unable to. After the first day or so, it seemed that they have all accepted each other as tank mates.

Currently, I have 5 Bandensis. 3 males and 3 females. All have paired up. I have left a mated pair in the juvenile section, so I can observe them easier with egg laying.

Today, I noticed a black clutch of eggs in the main tank. Pretty much in the hardest area to reach! I believe they belong to the adult male and his mate for they hang out in this cave. Actually the mom looks like she is staring me down as if shes saying "Dont even think about it!" If they begin to inflate more, I will try to take them out and hopefully hatch them!

I dont have any pictures that are worth posting yet, but hopefully Ill be able to get some soon.

18. Paradox

Heres a small list of things Ive learned so far with this batch and my current setup.

-Ive observed no change in comfort or distress with having the bandensis in a reef system with 250w halides.
    -I have twice now introduced mixed aged groups of Aqua cultured bandensis without real problems.
    -Bandensis will take frozen food earlier then I once though. Perhaps even after 1 month.
    -For some pickier eating Bandensis, I had to poke at the frozen shrimp to make it look alive. Also, they were more confident at grabbing the shrimp if the back of the shrimp was facing the cuttlefish.

Tank statistics.

-Temp 76-78
    -28" tall tank with 3x 250w hallides. Hallides are on 6-7 hours a day. The rest of the time, low wattage T5 bulbs are used.
    -Salinity 1.026
    Ca 450
    Alk 10 dkh
    Mag 1250
    Nitrate 0
    PO4 - Unknown, but Im starting to get a little algae, so a phosban reactor is going on soon.

19. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

The adult male mated with one of the 4 month old females? I didn't think they would pair up until they were nearer to the end of their lives, but it seems I was mistaken. Glad to hear all is going well.

20. Paradox

I think I first observed mating at around 3.5 months. Eggs first observed today, at 4 months 1 week. The clutch of eggs look to be 13-15 eggs. Lets hope they are fertile! Lets also hope that they dont lay 100+ eggs like cuttlegirl's did! That would be a lot of eggs since I have 3 mated pairs!

Another note: None of the 4 month olds have the face burn that Thales current generation has.