• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle Eggs!

longpig

Cuttlefish
Registered
Ordered three cuttlefish eggs from NY Aquatic on Monday. After seeing a number of posts on here stating they usually send more than ordered, I only ordered three. Well I got eight! My question is how many mysis shrimp should I order when my first one hatches? I want to be able to keep only as much as I can use since I know there will be die off. I found this site online ( Live Mysis / Mysid Feeder Shrimp ), anyone used them before? Any other good sources on buying mysis? I have a separate tank for feeders kept at the same parameters as my display. Would that be fine to house the mysis?

I get all my mysid from Paul Sachs. Look up Sachs Aquaculture systems if you are interested.
Cuttles usually dont eat for a little while after they hatch, so I would only buy 100, until they begin eating for sure. I bought 100 for my cuttles, and they have lasted me almost two weeks now.
Mysid shrimp will be shiped to you in brackish water (1.014 specific gravity), so you will want to keep them at that salinity if possible (to avoid further die off).
How do your eggs look? Can you see the cuttles inside the eggs?

They look pretty good, I mean none look shriveled. I don't have a way to candle them in the water. Sorry I can only get a blurry pic. Should I buy rotifers to feed the mysis? I really don't want to fool with culturing brine shrimp.
94112a50.jpg

Im not sure if rotifers will work...although I have no idea. I dont culture brine. I bought a cheap brine shrimp hatchery off Fosterandsmithaquatics.com and just hatch the eggs in there. After about 24 hours, they are ready to feed the mysid.

longpig;191896 said:
They're still there but unhatched. I assume at this point it's safe to conclude they're duds?
Not necessarily! Eggs take time. How long have you had them? An updated pic would be nice.
My first batch of eggs lasted about 23 days before my first hatch

I'll try to get a new pic tomorrow. I've had them since the 19th of July. One broke off of the main group but the rest are still together.

Alright, see what complaining gets ya?!?!?!? Who's yer daddy! Three babies hatched overnight. I won't be able to get mysis until at least Wednesday. Will they be OK? I do have tiny (1/16") red feeder shrimp for a baby angler. Will they work?
cuttle2.jpg

cuttle1.jpg

Very nice! Those shrimp should work, and if you have enough, they might be cheaper than mysid. Usually cuttle hatchlings don't eat immediately, so you should be ok, but I would get msid as soon as possible. Also, be prepared to go through a ton of food. My hatchlings got up to eating about 10 mysid a day in their second week.

DeepBlueWonders;191909 said:
Very nice! Those shrimp should work, and if you have enough, they might be cheaper than mysid. Usually cuttle hatchlings don't eat immediately, so you should be ok, but I would get msid as soon as possible. Also, be prepared to go through a ton of food. My hatchlings got up to eating about 10 mysid a day in their second week.

I'll throw in a couple of the tiniest red shrimp I have. They've been lasting in the same specific gravity as my reef so they might be hardier than mysis too. Can the mysis be put in a bucket with an air stone to live or should I just put them all in the net breeder with the cuttles? Should I add a little macroalgae to the net breeder now or wait?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back