cuttle eggs photo project

Tamara

Blue Ring
Registered
We found more cuttlefish eggs! This time in Koh Lanta, Thailand just a 10 min swim from the dive shop. The plan is to mark the rock they are under and try to get a photo everyday untill we leave or they hatch. We've got two weeks, do you think well get to see the end of the project?
Is 3 weeks average incubation for cuttles?

that link is just for fun, bobtail squid we found in Anilao, I saw it hiding/hunting in some soft coral, then started to burry itself in the sand.

There's the first photo. I'm not sure how far we'll get with these photos, day one and we are down to about ten eggs. Not sure what happened to the rest- though I'd assume they were eaten. Going to check on them today but probably no camera since we need to repair a bouyline.

Attachments

• conv_298900.jpg
    conv_298900.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 88
We decided not to really mark the rock in case it helped predators find them as well as us. We figured they were easy enough to find. Opps. Viz was really bad (less then 1 meter), couldn't find them after putting in the bouyline. Tomorrow nothing much is happening so going out in the afternoon with a camera.

Well I've got good news and bad news. Bad news is the orginal eggs are now all gone. The good news is we found more, seems like they are about the same age and there are more of them so better chance of getting to to a hatchable size...

Mohd Syukri Mazlan

Here is a photo from the new bunch. Is it possible that a cuttle would move their eggs if they thought something had found them?
I'm fairly certain that's not the case but the thought just occured to me.

I don't recall anyone reporting the adult cuttles paying attention to the eggs after laying them but I am an octo keeper and have not had the experience to observe.

Fantastic photo! Of course I had to look at more :biggrin2:. One day I hope to see my namesake in situ (the Seahorse).

The weather hasn't been great and there's a free ride back to Malaysia day after tomorrow so I think we're giving up on getting one a day until they hatch, but at least there are a couple good photos. Mat Yie is planning on trying to process a couple more, but the one on flickr is probably the clearest.

--- Muck diving is a lot of fun, finding a seahorse makes it that much more fun. I'm always amazed at what we end up finding in the sand.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back