cuttle eggs photo project

Discussion in 'Diving & Ceph Encounters' started by Tamara, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Tamara

Tamara Blue Ring Registered

We found more cuttlefish eggs! This time in Koh Lanta, Thailand just a 10 min swim from the dive shop. The plan is to mark the rock they are under and try to get a photo everyday untill we leave or they hatch. We've got two weeks, do you think well get to see the end of the project?
    Is 3 weeks average incubation for cuttles?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matyie_00/6346583763/in/set-72157627972412853
    that link is just for fun, bobtail squid we found in Anilao, I saw it hiding/hunting in some soft coral, then started to burry itself in the sand.

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Neat, looking forward to seeing these pics! :thumbsup:

3. Tamara

There's the first photo. I'm not sure how far we'll get with these photos, day one and we are down to about ten eggs. Not sure what happened to the rest- though I'd assume they were eaten. Going to check on them today but probably no camera since we need to repair a bouyline.

Attached Files:

4. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Cool pic! But that's really too bad that they diminished like that. Curious what you'll find today...

5. Tamara

We decided not to really mark the rock in case it helped predators find them as well as us. We figured they were easy enough to find. Opps. Viz was really bad (less then 1 meter), couldn't find them after putting in the bouyline. Tomorrow nothing much is happening so going out in the afternoon with a camera.

6. Cuddlycuttlefsh

Cuddlycuttlefsh Vampyroteuthis Registered

Personally, I think that picture of the bobtail squid would've been a nice desktop picture for my computer. Anyways, like it. Good luck on your cuttles.

7. Tamara

Well I've got good news and bad news. Bad news is the orginal eggs are now all gone. The good news is we found more, seems like they are about the same age and there are more of them so better chance of getting to to a hatchable size...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matyie_00

Here is a photo from the new bunch. Is it possible that a cuttle would move their eggs if they thought something had found them?
    I'm fairly certain that's not the case but the thought just occured to me.

DWhatley likes this.
  8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I don't recall anyone reporting the adult cuttles paying attention to the eggs after laying them but I am an octo keeper and have not had the experience to observe.

Fantastic photo! Of course I had to look at more :grin:. One day I hope to see my namesake in situ (the Seahorse).

9. Tamara

The weather hasn't been great and there's a free ride back to Malaysia day after tomorrow so I think we're giving up on getting one a day until they hatch, but at least there are a couple good photos. Mat Yie is planning on trying to process a couple more, but the one on flickr is probably the clearest.

--- Muck diving is a lot of fun, finding a seahorse makes it that much more fun. I'm always amazed at what we end up finding in the sand.

DWhatley likes this.