• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle Eggs came in...

Fish are a no no... Capt wrote an article and a few other members have tried keeping fish with cephs and it works until it doesnt. One of the animals will get eaten its just a matter of when.

No more babies hatched at this time, though I think one egg has expired.

I know cuttles have been kept at many different light settings but for the babies should I leave the light off for stress reasons, or does it matter?

Well, the one baby I have is moving around a bit more. For the first few days he just stayed in the corner but now hes hiding in some of the algea I have in the net. Food should be here in a little while so I hope to start trying to feed him tonight. I am thinking that I might try and pick up a few more eggs just to increase my chances of having a good group. I have 2 tanks that I could easily keep 5 cuttles in and if I have more than that just means my husband has to get off his butt and get my 75 gallon stand done so I can set it up too :biggrin2:

Congrats on your new additions, and I hope everything goes well. I've always been facinated with cuttlefish but I don't have the money to keep them. I wish you the best of luck. Talk lots of pictures and videos please.

As for the fish comment, that's a big NO. I've seen where people have kept cuttlefish with fish and either the cuttlefish ate the fish, or the fish ate the cuttlefish. I have never seen or heard of either animals getting along well in the same aquarium. In the instance of the cuttlefish eating the fish, it's fast and seemingly painless. On the other hand, if the fish eats the cuttlefish(this is if the two animals are roughly the same size) the fish will only nip at, tearing tiny pieces of flesh until the animal either dies from stress, infection/disease, or slams itself into a solid object. The first two are slow and horrible things to watch. So I'd urge anyone planning to mix the two not to do so unless the fish are intended for food and are adequate size for the cuttlefish to consume.

I think he might have eaten a shrimp or two. I put five in there... didnt mean to put that many but they are so little and hard to catch I couldnt get them out. Anyway, I have been looking for the shrimp and found only 3 of them. Of course its possible its just hiding well but I'm hopeful.

I ordered 100 mysid from Paul. He shipped them with fedex over night and I got them yesterday. As more hatch I will order more. They look good... I have to hatch some brine to feed them here in a bit. Everything is good.

What do you have the mysids in? Can you show me a pic of that please? And you are going to be breeding Brine shrimp to feed too? To the cuttles or the mysids?

The brine are bred to feed the mysid and the mysid are for the cuttles. I only ordered 100 mysid so I am just keeping them in a critter keeper with an airstone. When I order more 200-500 at a time then I will keep them in 2 different 5 gallon buckets with with air stones.

Sometimes it takes a couple of days and the cuttles seem scared of the mysids at first. I just remembered a paper that stated that cuttlefish can recognize prey from inside the egg. Maybe you should put some mysids in with the eggs so that the embryos get used to them. I will search for the paper... it is on Tonmo somewhere.

cuttlegirl;169505 said:
Sometimes it takes a couple of days and the cuttles seem scared of the mysids at first. I just remembered a paper that stated that cuttlefish can recognize prey from inside the egg. Maybe you should put some mysids in with the eggs so that the embryos get used to them. I will search for the paper... it is on Tonmo somewhere.

Thats very interesting... If you could find it that would be great. I worry about putting to many in there because of what I read about flood feeding and how that could be bad. Do you think that could pose a problem?

Should I separate the eggs and the one cuttlefish that has hatched?

I only have 4 eggs left, one of them was slowly getting smaller and smaller and just kind of fell apart. I am going to call the LFS on Monday to see if they can get me a few more in... 7.5 each and no shipping is a heck of a lot better than 25$ to 30$ for 2 plus shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back