• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cuttle egg adventure

Thanks for asking about me DB and congratulations on all of your healthy cuttles. I had no success and my tank is doing terrible. After my cuttles died i moved to my new apartment at school and most of my livestock died and i only have a clownfish left. I am swamped with school and baseball, looking at colleges and talking to scouts almost constantly right now since i am a sophomore at a junior college. I am a pitcher and am being looked at professionally so having a tank especially with baby cuttles will be near impossible until the offseason and even then my training regime is intense. I am legitimately happy for you though and am very excited for you and all of your healthy cuttles! I will check back in more often to see how you are doing man. Good luck!

Alan, good luck with the scouts and be sure to let us know if you get into the minors (especially a certain southern league )

Attachments

• conv_300317.gif
    conv_300317.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 168
Sorry for the lack of updates! I have been very busy!
Several weeks ago, I brought the first cuttle to my LFS. The tank the cuttle went in had perfect readings, except for nitrates at about 20ppm (which I know is high). We decided to risk it, acclimating it very slowly through drip acclimation. The cuttle, once in the tank, began displaying darker colors and acted almost similarly to the way the cuttles from my first batch acted. The cuttle swam all over the tank in all levels and depths, seeming like it was having difficulty with boyancy. After two days, the cuttle was MIA. I have a few pictures I can post later, as I noticed odd coloring in the pupils, wondering if this coralated with the high nitrates.
Most of the remaining cuttles I sold to local friends.
I kept 4 cuttles for myself, however when I was away for a week, something happened to the tank, causing me to loose all of them. I think it is possible a cleaning agent was spilled into the system. Now I am working on empting the system and starting from scratch again.

Well it was an amazing experience watching these cuttles grow from eggs. I have a ton a pictures and videos from the process, that I plan to add in an album eventually. Hopefully in a little while, I will be able to begin this process again. Cuttlefish are indeed, the greatest creatures to ever roam our seas.

sorry to here you lost them but i'm glad your going to try again iv'e been folowing this thread from the start, it's what finaly made me decide to try raising cuttles even though i kind of got sidetract while lurking on tonmo i decided i had to have an octopus so now i have 2 but i'm going to start my mysid culture tank soon and order some cuttle eggs afew months after that
thanks for shairing your experiences.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back