Cuttelfish-Sepia Bandensis available!

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by Paradox, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Rich (thales) and I are offering some sepia Bandensis eggs for sale. This years season has been pretty dry for availability and I almost thought we missed our chance, meaning there would be no cuttles for up to a year! Luckily we did come across some and are selling some extras, so this is your chance if you have been looking for them!

We put together a quick site to sell them from, so please only contact us through this website for orders for its difficult to keep track of messages in multiple places.

www.Bandensis.com

Please be sure that you have read all the care articles and know what you are getting into before buying. I will not start shipping until after the Thanksgiving weekend.

Happy Thanksgivings!! :roflmao:

2. k0mpresd

k0mpresd GPO Registered

this may be a dumb question, but could an egg and eventually hatchling be housed in the same tank as a small octopus? or should they have dedicated tanks?

3. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Common wisdom is they should have separate tanks. If you haven't already, check out the care links on the bandensis site or in the cuttlefish care section here on TONMO.

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Cuttlegirl posted this link back in May and several others have noted it as well but I will add it once again here.

5. #30Girl

#30Girl Wonderpus Registered

No way! If I could afford them, I would get them. I love cuttlefish. They are awesome for a midwestern...:yinyang::notworth::talker::talker::talker::talker::talker::talker:

6. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Eggs are now unavailable, but we have many hatchlings available.

7. swann

swann Pygmy Octopus Registered

Any left over?

Hello, Was just wondering if you had anu cuttles available?

8. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

:smile:

9. asid61

asid61 GPO Registered

Baby cuttles? I've checked the availibility thread, and nobody has them!
    :banghead:

10. Mike Bauer

Mike Bauer Vampyroteuthis Registered

11. Stavros

Stavros GPO Registered

NYAquatics keeps cuttles in low salinity tanks, 19 ppt, and it would be difficult for animals to survive in 'normal' salinity levels afterwards. Does anyone have any success stories with bandensis from there?

12. Mike Bauer

I can see that killing the hatchlings, but the eggs should convert back ok. Don't you think? :hmm:

13. Stavros

Stavros GPO Registered

Actually, the animals tend to hatch earlier in unfavorable conditions such as this. There's unpublished data (Chun-Yen Lin) showing that embryos will hatch prematurely in low salinity (26 ppt) and he found out that if the embryo was less than 36 days old, survival rate was minimal. Note: this was with pharaonis embryos.

14. Mike Bauer

Ok, I read that but it didn't stick because I was looking for the difference between the pharraonis and the dwarf, instead of focusing on the hatching and the salt levels. Sorry I missed that. So do you think that is causing the floating butt issue? If I recall that was why the article popped up. Again I completely missed this and thanks for pointing it out; sometimes I need people to be direct and say what they want me me see instead of pointing me in the correct direction. Sorry for that.

15. Stavros

Stavros GPO Registered

No problem Mike, I don't know the exact reason why they would float in that way, that's why I wasn't direct. But I'm sure they died because of the low salinity levels they were kept in.

16. Mike Bauer

Well I don't feel completely like a monster now, more than half of my cuttlefish and eggs came from them but to loose 20 cuttlefish babies in less than 2 months make me feel really bad. My new eggs that I have are from a different place so time will tell but if anything happen to these I will stop with the dwarf cuttlefish. I will still give the larger ones a go because I had great luck with them in the past.

17. asid61

asid61 GPO Registered

I contacted them, they said they keep cuttles at 1.022 specific gravity.

18. asid61

asid61 GPO Registered

I meant NY aquatics.