Curly arms natural behavior?

Missnano

O. vulgaris
Registered
I have a dwarf octopus, yet to be determined on what he actually is but as I was watching him tonight unnoticed his arms are much longer than his mantal, thin, and everyone of the arms is curled at the end when resting. If he's moving helps stretch them out, but as soon as he stops they all curl at the end. Side ofnglas, perching on rock, hiding in den, ect.

Is that normal?

Hmm, personally not sure. When I saw the thread title, I thought about the way octopuses curl their arms and shimmy to shake off dead suckers... but this does not sound like that. A pic would be helpful, if you can get one.

Hmm, personally not sure. When I saw the thread title, I thought about the way octopuses curl their arms and shimmy to shake off dead suckers... but this does not sound like that. A pic would be helpful, if you can get one.

Yeah she doesn't shimmy. Just curly tips lol. I'll get a picture tonight!

I grabbed a picture of him tonight with him curling all of his tips. He's kind of doing it. He just sits there with them all curled at the ends.

I also want to add, he ate a red legged, blue legged, and a fiddler crab yesterday. I THINK he tried to eat a snail but it was a big snail for cleaning and he didn't manage to get through the shell. I was surprised by the appetite. o_O

P.s. still not sure what he is. Told he was a brown dwarf.

Hmmmm. I doubt it but check out the first few posts about Casper. The only reason is the appetite. I thought I had a dwarf. She would eat anything in the tank and grew very fast. Found out casper was a vulgaris. You can find the thread on the journals. I doubt you have a vulgaris but its possible.
The curling arms seems common.

Hmmmm. I doubt it but check out the first few posts about Casper. The only reason is the appetite. I thought I had a dwarf. She would eat anything in the tank and grew very fast. Found out casper was a vulgaris. You can find the thread on the journals. I doubt you have a vulgaris but its possible.
The curling arms seems common.

Very interesting. I notice your Casper has somewhat have a texture on his skin. Like white rough bumps, mine does too. Is that common on all of them??

I don't see anything worrisome about the arms. There IS an arm curling that is a concern that we call a, cork screw. You will sometimes see this in senescent animals or animals in fatal distress (often brought on by bad water). Usually most of the arm is involved and the curls are loose and dangling.

There are three times that we typically see voracious appetites. It often occurs (or the opposite) when an animal is newly introduced to aquarium life, when a female is about to brood and when a larger species is going through a growth spurt. My guess is the first condition. In any case, I would suggest offering something a little more meaty, like an eye sized piece of thawed table shrimp on a stick.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back