• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Curling leg behavior

delosa

O. vulgaris
Registered
In dwhatley's thread, "Trapper is finally here!", there is a video in the first post which shows his octopus curling its legs wildly.

Why do some octopuses do this? Or do all octopuses do this? Is it more common in certain species? My Octopus does this too and I was wondering why.

When they wrap there legs back up over there body its a defensive position which allows them to grab any approaching threat and move to bite fairly easily.

Opcn,
The Mercatoris appear to do this more as a feeding posture than out of fear. Even at 4 months Trapper's offspring filter feed more than hunt and maintain this position most of their waking hours. If they are frightened, they either withdraw into their shells or zoom across the net.

Usually its grooming. If you see it doing this behavior without the presence of anything else or in its site, then its most likely always grooming. I would see this once in a while at adventure aquarium here in NJ...the giant octopus likes sticking to a side of the tank and staying there and often cleans itself.

Sometimes they appear to turn inside out, but its normal. And usually after it does this you see translucent suction cups falling to the ground so they shed.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back