• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Culturing squid

Hello, I posted previously explaining I am going to base my dissertation on culturing cephalopods. Well, it's still all going ahead, but there has been a change in plans. I will now also be culturing squid! More specifically Loligo pealei. Never before cultured in captivity. I have been doing research and well there is none! I am hoping you could recommend literature, books, anything that may be relevant.

I wish I could be of help but unfortunately my tries with Sepioteuthis sepioidea were failures. The fist batch did produce hatchlings (but not two others tried later) and I think keeping the eggs in a gentle current away from all other critters was part of the initial key. Unfortunately the hatchlings only survived about a day so there is not much you can take from my journal.

Please DO consider journaling the experience with TONMO and share your findings when you complete your paper!

Great project! I would start by looking at some similar squid biology and husbandry. When I worked at the National Resource Center for Cephalopods were culturing Sepioteuthis and also had Loliguncuela brevis (though didn't culture these). I'm not too familiar with the species you are talking about off the top of my head. But I would think your initial setup and maintenance would be similar to other cephalopods.

Any specific questions right now?

Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back