• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

CuC

jamest0o0

O. vulgaris
Registered
Well I've heard cuttles won't eat snails and hermits. I'd also assume all the detrivores that usually come about in LR would be fine. Are there any other inverts they will not eat?

I keep a serpent star for left over meatier bits. You can also keep the other stars and non pointed spine urchins..etc. I also have a large population of bristle worms that seem to keep the tank clean. Ive never had a problem with them. Anything that is a shrimp or a crab (non-hermit) will be eaten as soon as it drops in the water.

One thing I would recommend and wish I did would be to ensure you have absolutely no bubble algae or aptasia prior to adding cuttles. For natural predators that eat these will be eaten by cuttlefish.

Paradox;119003 said:
One thing I would recommend and wish I did would be to ensure you have absolutely no bubble algae or aptasia prior to adding cuttles. For natural predators that eat these will be eaten by cuttlefish.

...or octopus.

:bugout::silenced::bonk::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Very good advice.

No aiptasia, but my one piece of LR has one bubble on it so I will make sure I get that off, or just not use that piece.

I don't want to rush, but since cuttles seem to be hard to come by, if I get the chance to get 2 female cuttles say in 2 months or so after the tank is set up would they be fine? Or should I wait the 3 months no matter what? I am going to have a 10g fuge with a DSB and chaeto, and my sump which will have chaeto. My LR is comming from an established tank in my house. I also have plenty of LS to seed my new sugar-sized aragonite. I have sponges also that are loaded with bacteria that I used for my QT if that would help any? I will also have a CuC ready from my 55g.

It's best to let the tank get through it's full cycle so you don't stress the cuttles more than they have to be after shipping. Thales, Paradox, and myself will probably provide a steady supply of cuttles to anybody interested.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back