[Octopus]: Cthulhu - Octopus Mercatoris First octopus (Mercatoris) journals

That's some solid advice. I didn't know there was a whole process to introduction, we just let her climb in. The thing with the ph testers is a good idea, I think we have some laying around. We used live rock for biological process and it turns out that when we tested the water with a refractometer earlier tonight the water was EXTREMELY SALTY at 1.029, that was awful to hear, but the folks at the store were so nice they let us use some of the finest RODI water around to fix the problem. I hope that I can learn a lot more about this before we get the new octopus. I'm gonna need info and lots of it. Please help.:grad::read:

I drip acclimate almost everything that goes into my tank, usually takes around one to two hours, and as @DWhatley says, test pH and salinity at least to make sure. You run a very real risk of killing your animal with osmotic shock if you don't account for these factors.

And today I am over the moon with joy, I got my new octopus! He's a male mercatoris and when we put in a fiddler crab it captured and started to eat it like 20 minutes after he swam out of the bag. I am so proud of him and it is a good sign that he is in a hunting mood. I'll start a new journal about him if he lives over a week.:biggrin2:

Oh, before I forget, do you guys know anything about algae blooms, cause we got a bad bloom, it covered the limestone a rusty red color, but it hasn't touched the purple rock yet, and thats reliving seeing as how that is here the octo stays. Anyways, do you guys know anything about it; or how often should you feed a baby dwarf if you want to see it out hunting? P.S. Sorry for not posting in a while.

What you're describing sounds like red slime algae, which isn't actually algae at all, but rather cyanobacteria. This is common in new tanks, but you may want to check your pH, Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate again to make sure it isn't time for a water change. There are commercial products that will treat RSA, not very much will eat it. If its possible, peeling it off by hand and siphoning it out works pretty well, but is time consuming.

As for feeding frequency, it seems most people on here offer food to young animals daily, but it varies a bit for older individuals. Cephs have pretty high metabolisms, so they eat a lot compared to other sea creatures.

Day 9: Today we saw our octopus on the back of the biocube wall, after a little he just jetted off, adorable. It seems that waiting a day worked out pretty well, and our water change is coming up, I think that would be a good time to get rid of the algae; I think well ask the storeowner about this too, as he is a very experienced man. He probably has some awesome advice. And thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Day 14: Today we saw our octopus eating a snail we put in :octorun: and I am once again, over the moon with joy :mrgreen:. I think I will retire the system where I say the day like how I said it in this entry, I'll just say the date.

P.S. To anyone listening please remind me to make a second journal for my new octopus.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back