[Octopus]: Cthulhu - Octopus Mercatoris First octopus (Mercatoris) journals

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I took the liberty of including the name and species in the title to make the journal easy to find. Let me know if you change its name and I will edit the title.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Could you tell us a little about your tank set up? What kind of filtration?

What are you planning on feeding the little guy?

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
How did you introduce him/her into the tank? Are there any places to hide in the tank?

It is best to let the little guy some space to explore. If you can keep the activity in the room where the tank resides to a minimum and dim the lights, it will reduce stress.

coral dweller

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
We got two big rocks with lots of hiding places, standered biocube filteration ( with skimmer, of course ), and emerald crab that is a little bigger than the octo and a slightly smaller fiddler for it to eat. I've got 20 or so fiddlers in a bucket, and we introduced it by letting it climb in. And we have a 29 gallon biocube.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
It is likely hiding in the rock (they are nocturnal and hide with the lights on) but check the sump as it is often a place they find inviting and the grid gives them access.

I am confused about the emerald crab though. It is bigger than the octopus? Emeralds don't get much bigger than the first joint on a pinky finger. If the fiddler is a male, remove or disable its "fiddler" claw (the smaller claw and the claws of females are not usually a problem).

coral dweller

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
It is a little bigger than the octopus, and we checked the sump and the fiddler is pretty small but if it's ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NEEDED than I guess I could take it out and fiddle with the fiddler I REALLY HATE touching them though. It feels pretty weird.