crazy cuttlefish

jugglematt

O. vulgaris
Registered
hello all
i love cephs as well but from a scuba divers point of view.
thisimage was taken at a site called Bass point in Australia.
we had just enterd the water when a cuttle fish aproached my buddy and tried to take his camera , it just wouldent give up and gut quite close .
we were all laughing which is quite hard under water .

this unusual type of behavior happens during mating season.

ive heard of cuttle fish trying to suck onto someones head!

most of the time the cuttle fish in our area are a bit shy and behave themselves nicley.

regards
matt

Attachments

• conv_302372.jpg
    conv_302372.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 88
this image was taken at a Sydney dive site .

the giant cuttle fish was quite friendly this time and came over and touched my wifes hand

sorry about the image quality but there was lots of stuff in the water
comments apreciated
regards
matt

Attachments

• conv_288514.jpg
    conv_288514.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 96
Indeed, you're extraordinarily lucky to get to dive with giant cuttles. Quite lovely beasties. I especially like the one getting friendly with your wife. Did she say what the grip felt like?

Cheers!

erich orser said:
Indeed, you're extraordinarily lucky to get to dive with giant cuttles. Quite lovely beasties. I especially like the one getting friendly with your wife. Did she say what the grip felt like?

Cheers!

I feel as if there is a hidden meaning to that post...but I can't lay a finger on what it is....

No, sorry Chrono, this was entirely literal. I honestly, as somebody who wants to raise cuttles in the future, wanted to know what it felt like. I recently spoke to somebody who dove among dosidicius. He told me it hurt, but the ones he dove with were tiny. I want to know if cuttle sucker-teeth have any real bite on human flesh.

More importantly, their suckers - I always believed they were rather squidlike - with teeth rimming them. Is this true?

hello all
thanks for the comments :smile:

yes it is great diving with these critters .
i really enjoy setteling down next to a pair during mating season and watching them go through their ritual . with the male fending off rivals and displaying angry colors on one side to the contendors and romantic colors the other side of his body to his mate.

i alyaws think that cuttle fish during mating time are a bit like tean agers ...full of hormones and not really able to controll themselves. they do some silly things

i had one guy fall in love with my torch (bright orange in color) he wanted it and came up ignored me and tried to take it !

my wife just said that the cuttle felt cool and a bit soft , it just touched her hand not a grab .

some times a cuttle will get intrested in us as divers . a friend of mine mimmicks their tenitcle gestures with his hands and the cuttle copy him . great to see.

regards
mat

Oh man I hope its cuttle season in Febuary. I'd love to go diving with these guys. Already plan to do some diving, but this would just be a treat!

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back