• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

craw fish a good or a bad idea????

nini

Wonderpus
Registered
lol im srry i keep asking all of these questions regaurding octo food but i just wanna make sure i get this right:roll: anyways i read one of the articles and it said octopus could eat crawfish, is that a good idea? cuz if it is thats GREAT!!! it also said younger octopus could eat ghost shrimp. how can you tell how old a octopus is?
Thanks
PeACe:bonk:
Tif

Questions are very good! Nothing wrong with that! I have used crawfish as an alternate food but more of a treat than a staple. I cut the pinchers, especially if it's a very young octopus to ensure he doesn't get hurt. Usually you can tell by the octopuses size except if it's a dwarf species. Smaller the younger.

Carol

Gost shrimp arnt good for your octopus because they are mostly just fat. Crawfish are ok but not as a main food like Corw314 said.

I often only cut one claw off for a young octopus but I'll have to start cutting all the claws off do to the fact that my octopus is missing two arms :frown: . As long as your food isnt 2x the size of your octopus you shouldent have to cut claws off.

Nini, all these things are relative and require an evaluation of your particular octo's size and the crabs to be fed - I trimmed only the tips of the larger claws on fiddlers when my octo was smaller. Other species of crabs may have larger claws or not.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back