• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Crabs vs. Shrimp

Spocktopus

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I have been feeding my octos frozen shrimp from the market and they have been taking and eating them readily. I did catch some local crabs, thinking I would give them a treat, but I am concerned. If they like the crabs too much, will they stop eating the shrimp? I don't have the means to get them enough crabs (and of the right size) to feed them regularly. I also need to use shrimp bits for my experiment. Should I try the crabs? Or should I not to make sure they'll still eat the shrimp?

Armstrong

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Just keep it mixed up. Don't feed them it crabs consistently or for a few days in a row because once they have eaten crabs a lot, they get attached to it, lol. It's probably their favorite mollusc. You should try other raw seafood as well so it doesn't have just 2 foods to attached to.

Members online

No members online now.