• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Crab Shells

Tako_Poke

O. vulgaris
Registered
Crab shells are bad for water right? Well how do I get rid of them!? They are scattered EVERYWHERE around the tank. Just last night the octo ate two while I was asleep. God knows how many he has eaten total. He even ate the babies! And it doesnt help that the scavangers drag them under rocks and in hard to get places. Any ideas on how to get this crap out?

You need to take some plastic tongs or other instrument and get them out one by one. Now some octos are very helpful and put the crab shells in a pile. My bimac at times helped me round up shells and uneaten food - but it sounds like you're on your own!

I'd remove the crab shells because octos are messy eaters and don't usually clean out everything (and there are some exceptions!). This will harm your water quality.

Nancy

lol At first my octo spat them out in the corner of the tank. But I guess he realized that wasnt doing anything and gave up. I had my chance...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back