• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cowrie/Cowry Tank Mate

Cowries have a secret weapon!

I learned the hard way that cowries are not compatible with octopus. I put a small one inch long chestnut cowrie (Cypraea spadicea) with my bimac octopus in a 60 gallon tank. I knew the octo might eat the cowrie, but if the cowrie turned out to be live food, that was ok with me. All seemed fine for a week or two, Until my octo got hungry. I learned that cowries have an interesting defense mechanism: they produce huge amounts of thick slime. That little one inch cowrie turned enough of my tank water into snot to clog most of my overflow. I was lucky my overflow wasn't completely clogged. I think a "fist" sized cowrie could have turned my 60 gallon tank into a big block of clear jell-o. I fished out about a gallon of the goop with my hand net, and considered myself lucky that it didn't cause a pump failure.

Maybe this behavior is specific to the chestnut cowrie, and other cowries don't do it, but you won't catch me testing that theory in my tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back