Cowpie - A.aculeatus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by oneandseven, Sep 29, 2011.

1. oneandseven

oneandseven Cuttlefish Registered

:octorun:

Hello Everyone! I am a new caretaker for my first abdophus octopus. He/she arrived on Tues. from Drs F & S. I have him in a 34 gal tank, and today he ate a ginormous crab. I am including some pics, and if someone ID's him as something else, please let me know. This is truly an amazing creature. Thank you for all the good information :read:I gathered prior to ordering this octo. One thing I noticed, is that he likes to curl up in a corner about halfway up the tank, on the glass, even though he has lots of rock caves.

Attached Files:

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

This is normal of this species, espescially when first introduced.

Too small...these guys are suppose to have at least 55 gallons. it also looks like you have a hang on back filtration system. this may not be sufficient to filter the tank, as octopuses are messy eaters and they can create a lot of waste. a protein skimmer is also essential for both food waste and inkings.

3. oneandseven

My new pet

I do not have a hang on filter, it's an overflow to the sump, in which I have an installed protein skimmer! I also have a canister filter hooked up to the sump. I am well aware of the large amount of waste they produce. The photos show the octo in the tank while I was still hooking everything up, and the intake of the canister was still in the tank, instead of the sump.
    If all you have to offer is criticism, then maybe I'm in the wrong place. I thought this was a place to grow, share, learn, and support cephalopod enthusiasts. Sorry!:hmm:

4. neurobadger

neurobadger Vampyroteuthis Registered

Welcome!

If you want your octopus to be in an environment that's not stressful, you need to give it at least 50 gallons. That's TONMO's standard recommendation.

5. CaptFish

It is :smile:

I didn't mean to come off so negative in my first post; however, I'm not going to support, nor will most other members and staff, the keeping of an animal in a tank that is way too small. We promote the proper care of cephalopods here on TONMO.

6. oneandseven

Forgive Me

:roll:I'm sorry, guess I was a little over sensitive. I DO want my octo to be stress free, but captivity does have a certain limiting effect. I will get a bigger tank asap. Do you count the volume of the sump when calculating the total gallons? If so, then it's bigger. I have always liked to do things the correct way, so to think I messed up, well, I was upset, it's tough being human sometimes!! Thanks for your input:smile:

7. CaptFish

No i was only talking about the tank itself, so the little guy has enough room to crawl around, hunt, and play. 55 would be my suggestion, if you have the means and the space obviously the bigger the better. but most of the octopuses commonly kept in home aquariums will do fine in a 55 w/ a sump. IMO the perfect octo tank is a 65 tall.

8. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Hi oneandseven, and welcome! I can definitely understand -- I don't own a tank; never have, but I can imagine how it would feel to be so excited about something such as this, only to find you have a problem that could be very daunting to fix. Good advice for you here from our resident experts. I look forward to learning more about your tank and your new octo as time goes on!

9. oneandseven

:angel:Well, I am pleased to announce that "Cowpie" :lol: unfortunately the name stuck, is in his new 58 gal rectangular tank and doing excellent. I am still concerned about how much to feed him. Right now he gets one fiddler a day, but today, I gave him a second one, and he jumped on it and ate it. I tried to upload a cool video I got of him flashing and going through his chromatophoric repetoire!

10. CaptFish

Awesome!
    The name is hilarious.

One fiddler a day is usually plenty. I have had some octos that only ate every other day and I have had some that would eat a few times a day. If the octopus takes a second crab then its fine. I dont think you will over feed it. However, the more food you feed, the more mess it makes in the tank.

Or video feature is not operational right now so the best way to post a video is with youtube, or a similar site.

11. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Would you like me to include Cowpie's name in the title? It is often helpful to find even your own posts at a later date. I also encourage including he species name even though I list it in the List of Our Octopuses annual post.

12. oneandseven

Sure, include his name and that he is an Adophus Aculeatus sp? I think I will upload the video to youtube. He ate two crabs yesterday also, but today, he didn't want any, and he was unusually dark in color. Usually when he's cruising around, he is that "cardboard box" brown. I think the NO3 is up, so I did an H2O change. What you said is spot on, the more he eats, the more organic toxic waste is produced. Next time I will be more cautious.This is his "prickly spotty" mood, like when I approach the tank and he gets nervous. I just uploaded my video to youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloRiyScK6U

Attached Files:

13. oneandseven

The passing of Cowpie

:sad:I am devastated, and extremely saddened to tell you that yesterday, my beloved octopus found a tiny spot in the back of the tank where the duct tape had come loose. It left a gap between the plastic strip and the frame, and during the night, escaped to his death. It's as if someone has punched me in the stomach. I blame myself for not taping the area better. I need to grieve now, bye:goodbye:

14. DWhatley

So sad and I know (from experience) that it will take awhile to not want to cry when you look at the tank. It is odd this should happen today as I was talking to Neal earlier about escapes and tank design/size, not a normal discussion.

15. oneandseven

Odd

I agree it's odd, since I had had him for 3 weeks, and he never looked like he was looking for a way out. The most heart wrenching thing is that I cannot find his body. I have searched high and low (mostly low) under everything, with a flashlight, and he has simply disappeared. He would have fallen 4 feet to the floor, and it is carpeted everywhere. How far do you think he could get? I feel it would bring closure if I could find his poor little body.:cry:

16. CaptFish

Are you sure he's not hiding in the tank? how do know he escaped? These critters are masters of hiding! Dead octos have an extremely strong and particularly foul smell. If he is dead in the house there will be no questioning it from the smell.

17. DWhatley

I agree with CaptFish, the animal is still likely in the tank though he may have died (this species seems to go down very quickly and often without warning).

18. oneandseven

Escape or camouflage?

:confused:I have a dachshund, the "greatest" nose in the Northwoods, and she either ate him, or he has vanished into thin air. I took every rock and tube out of the tank, and that is when I realized he was really gone. I think however if he had been eaten, that she would have vomited him up. I guess I'm just grasping at straws, since it is such a conundrum.banghead:

19. CaptFish

Even though you removed the rock, it may have found away inside the rock. happened to me. Like you, I pulled everything out of the tank looking for the octo, never found it, put everything back in and a few minutes later a very confused octo was exploring the tank, and wondering why all the rocks had moved around. same species too.

20. DWhatley

This would be particularly not odd if Cowpie was female and is brooding eggs.