• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cover returns?

Do the returns need to be covered, wondering if an octopus would possibly crawl into these. Might be a stupid question but better to look stupid now than have a disaster later.
I am using a solid plexiglass cover over the display area. The back chamber where I have overflow and skimmer is open, do I need to make air vents in the cover over display? I am thinking I could drill several small holes, good idea or not?
Plastic hasps? Can I find them locally or just mail order?
Thanks in advance :smile:

yes thats what I mean, the the return, use the gutter guard, and just ziptie it is place. it does suck buying a whoile roll and only using and a 1" square but it seems to work great.

We like acrylic for the tops and make hinged lids with a pattern of holes (peg board makes a good pattern). This acrylic tank already had a most of the work (and expense) built in as part of the tank but you can see the homemade covers and holes. The glass tank that we acquired from our son needed a whole cover design. Unfortunately, the photo does not show the holes in the hinged covers and my camera needs to go to the camera doctor (I can't replace it and I have a water housing so it has to get fixed) so I can't show the finished project yet but the covers are drilled like the first link. The holes help to allow heat to escape and we use a fan on the open sumps. Unfortunately a fan will not help much on the main tank except to reduce light heat if placed between the light and the cover.

Here is the only completed one I have until I fix the camera.

Attachments

• conv_294795.jpg
    conv_294795.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 91

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back