Couple of questions

InKeD

Hatchling
Registered
First off not really sure where to post this thread so I thought I would post it here.

My main concern is that I am debating between a Cuttlefish and a Octopus, species which have not been decided. I would just like to know something about them I will not be getting one for a good 1 to a 2 years from now, so I want to know a lot more than what I do now. Which are more interactive, easier to care for, easier to obtain, and a suggestion of which species of octopus or cuttlefish.
On a last note I play the drums and I was going when I get it should I not put it in the same room as due to loudness of the instrument, also play loud P.A. speakers with this.

Thanks
InKeD

:welcome: to TONMO! there are folks here who will wax poetic about both octos or cuttles, but I'm not going to take sides...

For a fast paced vicarious experience with both octos and cuttles, take time to read through some of the longer posts (more complete life cycle recordings) in the journals and photos forum.

I can't think of any particular post that would help with the drum concern. Both species do not have "ears" and are deaf to what we hear, however, both would feel the vibrations and I have seen numerous reports about Vulgaris sensitivity. My Hummelincki's tank is located on a counter that attaches to the wall to the laundry and he definitely reacts to the spin cycle on the washer.

I haven't kept cuttles yet so I can't speak as to how interactive they are with their keeper. I have kept a few octos now though and I can say that for the most part they are very interactive and "hands on". They'll reach out and touch you. They will accept food from your fingers. And on occasion they do actually seem to like physical contact. I'm sure a cuttlefish would learn to gently accept food from your fingers much like an octopus does, and they do seem very capable of learning that their keeper is the "food god" so I imagine they would learn to gently accept food items from their owners fingers.

They're both pretty similar, but I think an octopus is going to be more "touchy feely" with objects, as observed with various toys.

Octane will get very restless and aimlessly wander the tank with jerky movements. This was especially notable when I was washing clothes after lights out. He used to go to his den and sleep about half an hour before the tank lights turned off and sleep through the night - now he is up later but at the time this was unusual behavior. Initially I was sure we were looking at sesenence but finally realized what was making him nerveous. I can't change his tank location but I do keep my laundry chores to his waking hours and it seems to have less impact.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back