Cottam Point BC - small octopus in boulder field

Tom Hlavac

GPO
Registered
On Dec 31, 2013 I encountered this smaller octopus (app 7-10 lbs) in app 70 fsw off Cottam Point swimming towards the deep wall. Cottam Point is along the northwest shore of Northwest Bay, the octopus was a few minutes along the dive towards Mistaken Island.

I am not too familiar with octos in the NW since I only keep warm water species but the horns and papillae look very much like GPO. The colors are not what we typically see (especially the green fluorescence) but I don't know of another that shows that leafy look with horns. Envious of your find but not of the cold water diving :biggrin2:

I am not too familiar with octos in the NW since I only keep warm water species but the horns and papillae look very much like GPO. The colors are not what we typically see (especially the green fluorescence) but I don't know of another that shows that leafy look with horns. Envious of your find but not of the cold water diving :biggrin2:
It's not that cold, I use a 7mm wetsuit, and don't wear gloves. Water was somewhere around 8 or 9 C in Northwest Bay today.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back