corals with bandensis

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by jellyfish, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jellyfish

jellyfish Cuttlefish Registered

hi all
    i have a few corals and was wondering which would be fine with bandensis? i have sun coral, pulse xenia, duncans, bush coral, star polyps, very small goniopora and finally a leather any ideas ? also what would be a good size for release into main tank (cuttle only tank) many thanks :smile:

2. spinycheek

spinycheek GPO Registered

All those corals should be fine. The stinging kind are typically the most worrisome, but I have mine with 2 anemones even, and no problems as of yet.

Not sure about release size, but it more depends on the likelihood of it getting sucked into a pump, and the size of the tank to make sure it's able to find food (or for you to find the cuttle).

3. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

The sun coral and the duncan are both especially "stingy corals" considering the sun survives by STINGING it's prey, and duncans gain a part of their diet through STINGING. GSP may be something to worry about as they sting too, but not quite as bad. Still wouldn't want my cuttle touching them. How big's your tank? Unlike octopuses, It's usually no issue keeping cuttles with stingy corals or anemones, you just don't want to have too many. You still want room for the cuttle to perch on the rock, etc. As long as you have enough room in the tank, a few stingy corals or anemone's isn't an issue, you don't want the cuttle bumping into them everytime it moves though.

4. jellyfish

thanks for info tank size is 250ltr if the cuttle were stung would they avoid them in the future or is there a real danger of me losing the cuttles all together

5. spinycheek

spinycheek GPO Registered

Cuttlefish are very smart animals and will remember a sting. I highly doubt you'll lose a cuttle as most stinging corals are only powerful enough to kill plankton or very small animals. Cuttles are big, I think you'll be fine.

6. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

agreed, just don't overfill the tank with them.

7. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if that is true - especially with a young, small cuttle.

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I am more leary lately of stinging things than I used to be. Recently I had to rescue an antler anemone from the mouth of a flower anemone, and tonight I saw (and ultimately got stung because I was trying to get Neal to see it happen) one of my antler anemones aggressively come after my hand while I was trying to place a polyp in the LR near by (oddly enough the one that has a much milder sting retracted). The interesting thing, and a caution, is that they were aggressive and moved to attack (albeit slowly) something that was vibrating the LR two inches away.

9. jellyfish

thanks for the advice i will keep what i already have and not add anymore mmmm maybe some zoas ????:wink: