Corals and stuff

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering what are everyones experiences with keeping corals and other things (feather duster, polyps, clams etc).
What kinda supplements do you give them?
Do they work well with octos?
Are they difficult to maintain?

Any info about them would be appreciated :) .

thanks

o.vulgaris

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
well i've put feaher duster's and that's mainly it, they fed on any type of fish food, they decompose, weird.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
When you add stuff like that you run the risk of it either being eaten or messed about with... Might be okay but then again might not, chances are that the ceph would either try to eat it or accidntly kill it while moving rocks about...

Also most polyps sting and may hurt an octo...

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
But if i were to run the risk (not saying i will), what would i feed them? Is it just some stuff that comes in a bottle that i squirt into the tank a couple times a day??

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
okay, for arguments sake :)

Clam.. is a filterfeeder and in an octo tank would moe than likely be an expensive meal... so a filter feeder food for that

same for the feather duster

polyps will photosynthesise in your tank and will also take little bits of shrimp that you pass to them and anything else they catch :)

All good LFSs should sell liquid food for these animals

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
okay :wink:

not really, lots of people set up reef tanks specially to keep these types of things and find it difficult!!!

The clam would be the hardest as they require seriously bright lights and that's something the octo wont like... have a check at what a clam will cost you... that might change your mind!!! :P

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
hahaha ok clams are out :P . Does this difficulty level go for all the other corals? I guess i was under the inpression that as long as they have bright lights and you feed them that liquid food stuff then thats all u have to do. o well

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Reaction score
biggest problem for us is that we have a bloddy big messy octopus sitting in the tank making a LOT of waste... most coral keepers would expect to have a near sterile tank... that's pretty much impossible for us!!! LOL

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
ok, off the topic of corals, but what about sea urchins? How well do they fare in a tank? Of course im talking about a pencil sea urchin.

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jammir

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards