• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Coralife Protein Skimmer 65G

I received my Coralife protein skimmer today, hooked it up on the back of my tank until I get my sump built, and started it up. The skimmer came with pretty nondescrpant instructions, and since I've never used a protein skimmer before, I don't know how to calibrate it. That being said, when I started the skimmer up the bubbles bubbled over the cone, and would fill up completely with water after ~5 minutes. When I turn the adjustment knob the bubbles stop overflowing for a few seconds then resume overflowing. The instruction said that the skimmer needs to "break in", but I don't know if this is what that entails. It also say under "Troubleshooting" that if water goes into the cup fast to change the water level lower, but I can't seem to figure that out from the instructions or on other places on the internet(Satellite internet is really slow at the moment so I can't jump around a lot of pages). Any suggestions on how to fix this or if this is normal?

There are two adjustments on mine. One is a knob on the black pipe, the other is located on the pump. When you turn it on, you want to see lots of small bubbles but the water level should be below the internal cone (see figure 5.1 here).

The referenced PDF does not mention tuning the other adjustment that is on the pump. If you have the newer model, the solid tube coming from the pump has a knob. If you are not seeing lots of bubbles or if turning the water control knob does not lower the water below the cone, turn this knob until you get the desired results. If you have an older model without a knob on the pump tube, twist the small plastic piece that connects to the air line to help regulate the intake air.

If you are not seeing bubbles, make sure the end of the air tube is clear of the water and blow into it until you see bubbles. It may or may not have a small cannister with two nipples. The canister will sometimes accumulate a bit of salt and you will need t blow through it or simply replace it with another air line control that is a bit easier to both adjust and keep clean.

If this does not help (or my descriptions of suggestions leave you scratching your head :biggrin2:), take and post some very clear pictures of the pump, tubing and skimmer as it is running.

This is a picture of my pump, the knob acts like a shutoff valve, it is in the closed position now, but it has some play on the inside so water can still get around. Like that my slimmer runs like this, with the red knob all the way down:

But when the pump valve is open more the water flows pretty quickly into the cup. The first picture is the closest I can get to the picture.

Attachments

• conv_300994.jpg
    conv_300994.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 276
  • conv_300995.jpg
    conv_300995.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 292
When I woke up this morning there was about 1/2 an inch, give or take, or dirty water in the bottom of the collection cup. I have adjusted the red knob in the second picture. I put it in the position that the instructions indicated was "closed" and this, along with the adjustment of the pump knob as well, kept the bubble level where it is in the second picture. When I get home I'll adjust the knobs into different combinations and upload pictures. The first picture is as close as I can get to the picture as of now, but at least that collected some gunk overnight.

It has been awhile since I broke in a new skimmer but I think this is working fine. You may need to adjust the flow (likely with the pump knob) after you start to see some buildup in the main compartment. What you don't want is clear water in the collection cup. You appeared to have a lot of protein foam at the setting you photographed and that is good. Eventually you will see a brownish green "mud" collect along the inside of the cone that you will need to clean weekly (roughly).

These two picture of the collection cup are with the pump fully choked and the red knob closed then open

With the pump knob like this

Then the next two pictures is with the pump not choked at all, with the red knob open then closed.

With the pump knob like this.

Attachments

• conv_301000.jpg
    conv_301000.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 231
  • conv_301001.jpg
    conv_301001.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 242
  • conv_301002.jpg
    conv_301002.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 229
  • conv_301003.jpg
    conv_301003.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 240
  • conv_301004.jpg
    conv_301004.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 198
  • conv_301005.jpg
    conv_301005.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 204
The brown stuff along the top of the cone in the first picture is what you will eventually collect all along the inside of the cone (and clean and remove). While it is breaking in, you want to keep as much tiny bubbles as you can in the main chamber without filling your collection cup with water. If this is accomplished with everything choked all the way down, that is fine. Over time you will get more "dry" skim and less "wet" and will open the pump more. Eventually, you will not need to fiddle with the adjustments (this is the breaking in part mentioned).

It's working better now, It doesn't overflow anymore, and there's some brown stuff built up onto the interior of the cone without me having to restrict every valve there is! I guess it was just breaking in, thanks for your help, never had a skimmer before :oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back