Coral Restoration (of interest to Tonmo members)

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I recently learned about the Coral Resotration Foundation, which is restoring the threatened staghorn coral in Florida waters. This is of interest to Tonmo members because our own D Whatley is the Adopt-A-Coral Coordinator.

This Foundation seems to be doing very good work and has documented the restoration process for all to see. Have a look at thieir website at www.coralrestoration.org, where they explain the restoration process.

For $100, I adopted a staghorn cluster in the Molasses Reef Deep. D sent me a very nice packet of informatio including a tee shirt, which is available in several sizes. Adpations range from $40 up to $5000.

As an added bonus, you get to name your coral. After much reflection, Bill and I named our coral Spikey.

If you're looking for a place to donate to help ocean conservation, you might consider the Coral Restoration Foundaton.

Nancy

Very cool! I will certainly do it!

Molasses Reef is the SW edge of our fishing grounds, I have been diving there on many occasions, I may have even admired your Spikey.

Thanks Nancy, tonmo and CaptFish. If you adopt a coral, you will be given a link to share the progress with others (no log in required). Since Tony has stickied this, I would love it if anyone who chooses to adopt would add their links here.

Thanks again all for the support. CaptFish, if you are aware of the reconstuctive work from the Wellington accident there, most of the corals that HAVE survived are the work of Ken Nedimyer, most of it strictly volunteer (with painfully slow govenment permissions), the ideas and methods are his own.

I was concerned about Spikey and the cold spell that affected sea life in Flordia.

Dwhatley got some information for me - most likely Spikey is OK because he is in an area that didn't get the worst of the cold. I hope D gives us a general update soon.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back