Coral Destruction?

theredben

Hatchling
Registered
I have had my cuttlefish for about a month or so and e everything has been going fine, but last night I found one of my mushrooms had been severed. It looked like someone had come in with a razor blade and cut it in half. Since this is a cuttle tank there are no other livestock so I am just wondering if any of you guys have had this happen.
I am just hoping I don't have something crazy hiding in the LR.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
The "cut" look is worrisome. Do you have any urchins in the tank? I know my pencil urchins will start looking for stationary soft meat if I don't have plants for them (my pin cushions don't show this behavior but I don't keep them in a ceph tank). I have never had mine to split (a red I have in my reef tank is about 6 inches in diameter with a large variety of clean-up crew that have never bothered it) but I have read of people propagating them this way. If you only have half a mushroom, I doubt it was natural. There are some types of snails that might eat mushrooms (as well as other corals) but I don't know their names. If I get an odd snail I put it in a separate pico tank because of this concern. Other than that and the unmentioned dreaded hitch hiking mantis (purchased are no longer dreaded creatures thanks with a lot of help from Roy :wink:), I can't think what might sever a mushroom.

theredben

Hatchling
Registered
it was like someone had cut if off at the base, I have no urchins and i don't think it just split that way. I have not seen any damage since so I will just hope that it was a chance occurence.

I was basically just wondering if anyone else had any experience of cephs destroying corals. But I guess not.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I'd like to be a little clearer about what happened - it was sliced through the "stem" where it holds onto the rock? I assumed the mushroom had been sliced down the middle, so you had two half circles, but I guess this is not the case.

I would think that any destruction caused by an octopus would be more like tearing.

Nancy

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Octos might uproot or try to move just about anything but I have not read any records of cuttles rearranging. You might PM Thales to see if he has observed something similar (but I don't think he keeps anything in the cuttle tanks except cuttles) or Cuttlegirl as they may have missed your post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSG

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak