• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

CopperIn water?

Hi i had a a cutllefish a few months a go in a net breeder but somehow it escaped and attacked my cowfish. The cowfish released its toxins and wiped everything in the tank. Do cowfish have copper in their toxin.

One more question is i;m thinking of getting a larger tanks and was wondering is all you use inn a ceph tank Reverse osmosis water. The smaller tank that i had i used nutri seawater and RO top off. Do you use RO water to mix the salt too.

cephaloholic;123005 said:
Hi i had a a cutllefish a few months a go in a net breeder but somehow it escaped and attacked my cowfish. The cowfish released its toxins and wiped everything in the tank. Do cowfish have copper in their toxin.

One more question is i;m thinking of getting a larger tanks and was wondering is all you use inn a ceph tank Reverse osmosis water. The smaller tank that i had i used nutri seawater and RO top off. Do you use RO water to mix the salt too.

The toxin present in the cowfish is known as Tetraodontin - it does not contain copper. Tanks can usually be successfully revived by running activated carbon and doing some large water changes. It shouldn't be a problem to house an octo in a tank that has preciously had a wipeout, just give it a good clear out and start afresh.

Secondly yes almost all keepers advocate using RO and synthetic or natural sea salt. Tap water contains heavy metals, chloramines, phosphates and other contaminants that are undesirable in a marine aquarium, particularly one containing sensitive inverts.
You can either buy premixed salt water by the gallon or make your own using a proprietary salt and an RO unit plumbed into your water supply. This is pretty simple to do if you don't already own one. With large tanks the cost of buying in water will soon overtake the cost of your buying an RO unit in my experience.
Hope that helps

daddysquoc;123013 said:
dont forget to change RO filters if you are cleaning heavily polluted water

or your RO membrane will look like this (complements of red georgia clay even after prefiltering in front of the 3 RO prefilters):

TrappedMetal;123037 said:
Eeek, I don't envy you that! Our grim northern water looks lovely compared to that :smile:

What worries me most (my TDS meter barely picks up that stuff as it is very very fine once it gets past the 2 prefilters) is that the mud in the water means we are picking up ground water somewhere in our relatively new water lines (my prefilters actually stayed pretty clean when they first redid the lines in our subdivision). We have a phone line for "report excessive mud in your water" but the only time I called I needed to request to leave my address:roll:

I have to admit that the RO filter was way over due (by gallons - you can't see inside) and I was curious about what it looked like (I have learned to only take apart things that I am confident about putting back together - or don't have to). I bought two cartridges when I finally replaced it so I would not let it go as long.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back