Copper in Tanks

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by NickA5582, Sep 28, 2003.

1. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

Is there any way to get copper out of tanks? I got a very nice, free, 125 gallon tank from somebody at my mom's work who used to raise and show angel fish. I haven't tested for copper and she said that she didn't think she used anything with copper in it. I was hoping to put Pudge in it and eventually a cuttlefish from octopets in the Buy, Sell and Trade forum.

2. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

There is no proper way or removing copper without remving everything else from the tank EG all the silicone.

There is a good chance that the tank would be okay, only way to tell would be to fill it with RO water, leave it for a few days and then do a copper test on the water.

3. NickA5582

Thanks Colin. :)

Now I've got eight months to learn as much as I can about cuttlefish.

4. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Cuttlefish? Do ya plan on getting one Nick?

5. o.vulgaris

o.vulgaris Vampyroteuthis Registered

In response to checking if it has copper or not, you can go to any LFS and buy one of those test kits, they are pretty cheap. :)

6. NickA5582

Yup. I've heard that they can be kept together, is this true? And if so, how many to a 125 gallon tank? Also, how much live rock do they need?

I've been looking for a challenge as I've heard that cuttles are harder than octos. ( I consider freshwater eels and teacup rays a challenge, my first tiretrack died in a month, first teacup in two days.) :)

7. Colin

Well nick, this is going to be harder than teacups and tyretrack eels put together!

As for cuttles, 1 to 125 depending on species. The 2 most commonly seen are bandensis (a short lived dwarf) and officinalis (which gets big quick)

Cuttles need a lot less live rock as they can often hurt themselves on it by jetting backwards.

8. NickA5582

Thinking waaaaaay ahead
    Which one would you recommend?
    I'm leaning towards officinalis since I believe that's the only cuttle that octopets can get.
    Would my 125 galllon be sufficient for one?
    And when it inks how much of a water change should I do?

9. o.vulgaris

Yes it would be sufficient. Some people say 25% water change but I personally say 35%. :)

10. mikeconstable

mikeconstable GPO Registered

Ink removal!

I used to rely on skimmers to remove ink - were quite efficient even when tank was BLACK. Would never have had enough water for a major change unless it was planned but that may have been less than ideal? Ask Colin?!
    (Sorry Colin)

11. Colin

LOL no prob Mike, was online same time anyway :)

if the cuttle/octo inks until the water is black i did a water change ~25% and always had the skimmer on until the tank was totally clear... always worth changing the carbon after a heavy inking too.

One reason i always recomend getting a big skimmer

12. o.vulgaris

It is Recommended to have a efficient skimmer, comes in handy lol. :)

13. joel_ang

The bigger the skimmer the faster the ink is removed. Carbon filtration can be used to remove ink in smaller tanks. I only change 20% of the water as I find my cuttles get pretty nervous if I change any more than that. :)

14. o.vulgaris

...I have a medium sized skimmer because since I change 25-30% of the water I have already removed most of the ink...but my O.V inking is a very rare situation, it happens once in a blue moon so I rarely change the water. On the other hand my euprymna ink's at any moment whether it is moody or scared. :)
    So you figure out the rest. :P

15. Colin

Did you ever get round to taking/posting some pics of your two Dave?

Would like to see them :)

16. joel_ang

Yea, Its been sometime since we've seen your eupryma. Hows it doing?

17. o.vulgaris

I did have some, I had them up one my site, but unfortunately I terminated the account I had with digital-hosting and from there went my domain and my ftp which is where I had stored the pics. But no worries I will go high tech soon enough, maybe I'll get a digital camera so I can upload them lol, Im still going strong with my canon rebel 2000 SLR camera, oh don't blame me for being cheap and still in the old skool era. :P :P
    Just need to decide what type of Digital camera I should get, maybe I can use dustins, since He is the one who did all the graphics on my site--I think he has one.
    Anyway's I will definetly post pics on DevianART as soon as possible, that way you can visit a url of the pics, lol you get free webspace. :bonk:
    I do recall that I had took my first pic of it when I first came to the boards and I had my euprymna on the palm of my hand. I don't remeber what I did with that pic though. Oh it's tough when you're studying all day and all night..never got time for anything lol. :roll: [/u]