• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

copper death

hey, i would like to know if lets say there are traces of copper in my tank, how long would it take for the cuttlefish to be affected by it and die?

This fully depends on exposure, (concentration vs duration). In general terms it has been shown that the 96-hour LC50 for mollusks and crustaceans is 28–39 µg/l, with sublethal effects occurring at 1–10 µg/l. Is there a specific worry w.r.t. your cuttle?

PS: LC50 is the concentration at which 50% of a given population of (aquatic) species dies, in this case after 96 hours of exposure.

Any tank that has been exposed to copper should not be used for a mollusk of any type.

Why would you want to condemn an animal to a slow death? I don't understand the reasoning behind this question.

one of our large octopus died in his tank (3000L) with only a small piece of copper wire in it (electrician had been working over the tank) took about 5-6 days and it was awful. He lost his appetite got more and more lethargic , developed blisters/lesions, seemed to lose his ability to coordinate his arms ....it was just nasty.

After this we relined the tank (rhinolinings ---expensive!) and pulled out all the silicon and replaced it, redid all the plumbing, it was a big job.

J

well, i`m not wanting to torture them to death as you say, but because i test for copper and none is detected, but i also heard that low traces of copper cant be tested, and i`m just wondering if its copper that killed my cuttlefish which is why i`m asking.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back