Cooking Squid

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Does anyone have any ideas for cooking large squid? I have steaks that are about 1 inch thick. I tried cutting thin slices and then sauteing them but all I tasted was salt. I have about 5 pounds so I can experiment as much as I want.

Greg

:roflmao: get a cooking cutter and cut out rings then fry them so you'll have fried calamari

Fried Calamari

Ingredients

* 3 cups vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 12 squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
* 1 lemon - cut into wedges, for garnish

Directions
1. Preheat oil in a heavy, deep frying pan or pot. Oil should be heated to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).

2. In a medium size mixing bowl mix together flour, salt, oregano and black pepper. Dredge squid through flour and spice mixture.

3. Place squid in oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until light brown. Beware of overcooking, squid will be tough if overcooked. Dry squid on paper towels. Serve with wedges of lemon.

or

squid salad

Ingredients

* 2 lemons, juiced
* 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
* 1 sprig fresh parsley, chopped
* salt and pepper to taste
* 3 pounds squid, cleaned and sliced into rounds
* 1 (2.25 ounce) can pitted black olives
* 4 stalks celery, chopped

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Stir in squid, and cook about 3 minutes, or until tender; drain.

3. Toss squid, olives, and celery with the lemon juice mixture. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator until serving

Calamari Parmagiano

Ingredients

* 4 calamari tubes
* 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/4 cup milk
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
* 4 slices provolone cheese

Directions

1. Slice the calamari tubes open so they can lay flat. Rinse and pat dry; set aside. Mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese together in a pie tin or on a plate. Pour the milk into a separate dish. Dip the calamari steaks in milk, then press into the bread crumb mixture to coat.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Quickly add the steaks and cook until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. They should be golden brown but be careful not to over cook or they will be tough.

3. Reduce heat to low and add garlic and then spaghetti sauce to the pan. Top each steak with a slice of provolone cheese. Cover with a lid just until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back