Convention Agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
How'z about a small mpeg with me toasting all of you lot? A taped talk could be quite amusing .....

I'm feeling pretty bad about this, but it's out of my hands.

Old farts like me (yes, I'm getting that way) wouldn't know what to do or where to start to get something like this set up. What I'd probably do is get something together and Fedex it to Tony - that's about as modern as I could get (and I still cannot figure out how planes fly). When it comes to IT I really am Victorian, and have still not recovered after having Felipe sticking an ?IPOD (a white sliver-like box) on my stereo, without wires, and having something played through the speakers, or Jason (aka Squidvicious) having a pen-like thing on the desk that recorded everything I said. It's just not natural!!

I'll just quietly toast you all, and maybe send an MPEG (whatever that actually stands for) .. like what is a jpeg?? ... in fact what is a peg? ... and trust you all have a safe and enjoyable meeting, something that I am sure that you will have. I really do wish that I could make it over, and will eventually catch up with many of you - just not this time.

Steve O'Shea said:
and maybe send an MPEG (whatever that actually stands for)
Motion Picture Experts Group, the working group of ISO (the International Standards Organization) that develops standards for encoding movie files.

.. like what is a jpeg??
It's a picture encoded is such a way as to meet the standards set forth by the Joint Photographic Experts Group.

... in fact what is a peg? ...
It's a little thingamajig you stick in a hole. :wink:

:biggrin2:

I was 1/2 kidding! You will be missed, but it is completely understandable.

Could you handle a phone call piped over a microphone for a toast at the opening?

a taped talk would be good, but perhaps a live one would even be better. SteveCAM with sound effects. Not that I'm forcing this into everyone, but I'd say that be a great idea! :biggrin2:

You will be missed though.

Righty said:
What about a web cast for Steve?

I've had good luck using Apple's chat (iChat AV, I believe) to do "telepresence" at meetings-- if anyone has an apple laptop and Steve has access to one on his end, that may be a possibility for a Steve-in-a-Box. I know similar solutions exist for Windows and Linux, but I haven't used them; the Apple one I know is pretty convenient, easy, and reliable, if there are macs about on both ends... If my girlfriend comes with to the con, we can probably use her ibook for the tonmocon end, but that's up in the air right now.

chrono_war01 said:
I don't get it.

don't get what?

If that's regarding my post, maybe I should rephrase: I have used apple's iChat to let someone do a video telecon over the internet to present to/interact with a group before, and it worked well. I have high confidence I could make it work again if we have one Mac+iSight in NZ and one in Monterey. Something similar could probably be done on Windows or Linux as well, but I haven't done it, so I can't say that for sure... I'm happy to try to help make this work if Steve & Melissa & Tony are up for it, but I'm not sure I will have a mac to bring, and I have no idea if Steve has access to one in Auckland-- I know TTF said they have mostly Windows machines...

Does that make more sense?

Since Doc SOS won't be coming, so what are we going to do to fill up that time table?

(Perhaps a little editing needs to be done on TONMO's first post...)

Chrono -- Melissa, Erich and/or I will coordinate and will be communicating the final agenda soon. Stand by! Thanks -

Hi Steve and Monty

I think TONMOcon will have ibooks on hand. I'm not sure whose, but we can make sure that it has the right software.

We have a lot of wonderful scientists on the agenda. We hope Dr. Gilly will move into the top slot on the agenda, and we may be able to convince another fabulous researcher from MBARI to step in.

Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back