• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Considering Octo species for the newbie

Dobrzemetal

Cuttlefish
Registered
After some serious thought, I have decided to take the plunge and become an octo owner. I've really enjoyed the information this site has provided me with and I thank you for that. However, I was wondering what would be considerd a beginner species of octo, I've read that the O. bimaculoides is one of the more common and easier species, although I do not know if I have other options. I would like a octo the size of a O. bimaculoides, I find the colors fascinating. I will continue to browse the site, but if anyone could chime in, I would be very happy with any info you can supply me with. Tank you for reading this.

-Steve

Hi and welcome to the site! :welcome:

You don't say where you're living, so I'll assume it's in the U.S.

What you need to consider is the species available. It's almost impossible to get O. bimaculoides now, because no one is breeding or collecting that species.

If you look at the Journals and Photos forum, including the current List of Our Octopuses, you'll find that most people are keeping aculeatus, hummelincki, or mercatoris. Maybe O. mercatoris is the easiest to keep, because it's a dwarf and requires the smallest tank, but it's also nocturnal. These are smaller octopuses, maybe comparable to a bimac, or a bit smaller.

If you spend some time studying how to keep an octopus, set up your tank and let it cycle for three months, you should understand a salt water aquarium well enough to keep one of these more readily available species.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back