confirm this ID?

dagtaggart

Cuttlefish
Registered
i was told this is an indonesian long-arm octopus, or amphioctopus marginatus. can anyone confirm or deny that for me? his mantle is about 3/4" and tentacles maybe 4-5". thanks!

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0105-1.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

Yeah, It looks like an Aculeatus. Not 100% sure though, it does have a few features that are a bit different but then again octos can change a few of these features. If it is an Acleatus it would be a common mistake as they come from the same area and are similar. BUT I believe you said it was nocturnal in another post? Correct me if Im wrong but if its nocturnal it is NOT an Aculeatus, and some species from the macropus complex, so if its nocturnal I would say it is the species the supplier said it is.

Upvote 0
Looks like a juvenile Abdopus. If it's A. aculeatus then it's probably about half grown but there are some smaller species in the genus. We know of one nocturnal species, but it has much shorter arms.

Upvote 0
Ryan, even though the little ?nocturnal macropus complex octos like Puddles and Beldar come from a Indonesia, they do not look like the abdopus complex animals and are easily distinguished. I did notice that the eyes are not open very wide and wonder if the tank lighting is too intense for this diurnal species though.

Upvote 0
dwhatley;153138 said:
Ryan, even though the little ?nocturnal macropus complex octos like Puddles and Beldar come from a Indonesia, they do not look like the abdopus complex animals and are easily distinguished. I did notice that the eyes are not open very wide and wonder if the tank lighting is too intense for this diurnal species though.

should i try keeping only the actinics on during the day? he has been mostly nocturnal so far but did come out the one time during the day. also, it's only power-compact lighting, definitely not the brightest.

Upvote 0
IMO it is a diurnal species and the squinted eyes (if they stay that way when it is out) suggest the light it too bright. You can try just the actinics (or just the white without the actinics) to see if it makes a difference in the eyes and the daytime appearances (too little lighting is not a problem for any octo but other tank inhabitants may be a concern). If it does then lighting adjustments may be in order.

Upvote 0
The aculeatus I've kept have been diurnal. I think it's generally accepted that octos don't need bright lighting, I only kept the actinics on with them. They still would nap in their dens durning the early afternoons, coming out all morning and the evenings. Have fun with him!

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back