Conanny - O.briareus Formerly Conan The Destroyer

Joe,
Across the blue bar at the top of each post is an approximation of when the entry was made (first it will show min then hours, then days, then weeks and then the actual date.) Your first post shows as 2 weeks now but I don't know if that is 1 week + or 2 weeks +. Your first picture of the eggs shows at 1 week. Someone really should add a suggestion to Tony's "TO DO" list to include the actual post date along with the time passage ...

conanny update

well conanny is doing fine. the eggs have eyes looking at me now. shes still eating peices of shrimp. all is going according to my plan to take over the world with baby octos

Attachments

• conv_292395.jpg
    conv_292395.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 90
I've been asked to post about my experience with briareus hatchlings.

A few years ago someone here in Dallas had a female briareus who had laid eggs. She wanted to share some of the hatchlings, so three of us were involved in the octo raising project. Debbie put a number of hatchlings in a large mature tank with no large preditors. The tank was also stocked with mysids. A second person took a number to raise in floating containers where they were fed individually with mysids. I took six day old hatchlings to for my mature 19 gallon tank, which had an abundant supply of copepods, mysids, amphipods, small snails and crabs.

Once put into the tank, they disappeared into the live rock. From time to time I caught a glimpse of one of them using a magnifying glass (they were tiny, fully formed octopuses from 1/4 to 1/2 inch long).

The other two people were not successful with their hatchlings, although the ones in floating containers lasted a couple of months.

So after about a week I didn't see any more, and over time thought they had all died. About four months later my husband was cleaning the tank and a little red octopus came charging out. We were both astounded. I had noticed that the amphipod population was reduced, that a few snails and crabs had died, but it never occured to me that I had an octopus in the tank. This tank was on the kitchen counter and we looked at it up close a number of times a day. Never saw anything at night, either. So I must have had a very shy octopus, since it saw us every day and night and never showed itself.

I would have transferred it out to my big tank much earlier if I had known. But it continued to seem frightened and hide after making its first appearance, and in another week or two I found it had died - maybe of stress at having been discovered. I was very sad that the little octopus didn't live longer.

The photos show the 4 month old briareus, the mother Jetta with containers containing her babies,
and one of the babies in a betta cup.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy! I keep thinking I am missing something important. My first experience raising young was very successful, my second a dismal failure (I still have one little "girl" and maybe - if he has not been eaten by his father since he keeps escaping to the tank - one little "boy" but all the rest simply vanished). I keep trying to interest Jean in ceph nutrition (but she hasn't taken the bait) because I keep wondering if there is something "missing" from the water or the food of the female that might be important for successful offspring.

can see fully formed babies

well i can see little bodies that change colors and eyes and little stubby legs in the eggs now. havent had the first flip yet but i think its coming soon. conanny is still eagerly taking frozen shrimp too. all is well

Attachments

• conv_292426.jpg
    conv_292426.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
  • conv_292427.jpg
    conv_292427.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
i guess that means youve got some plastic containers for shipping?

theres probably somewhere between 350 and 500 eggs i think. theres about 75 strands of 10 to 20 eggs on each so do the math for me

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back