common octopus for school

jen

Hatchling
Registered
hello, i go to a aquacluture school :grad:and for my science project im planning on getting an octopus or two my school already has two large tanks aready to get the octopus( not quite sure exact size but they are huge)i was woundering what should the water parameters be? and does any body know where we can buy a common octopus in CT and about how much it will be?and does anybody know how to keep the octopus in the tank without putting a cover on the tank. we already have an idea and ive done a ton of research i just want to get ideas and to compare the water quality.

#1 covers are NOT optional! Additional octoproofing will be needed, check the tank forum for some ideas.

#2 Since this is an educational institiution, you might try (you will likely need a teacher to do this) the NRCC for your octo.

#3 "Huge" is a relative term. Some people think a 50 gallon tank is huge. Knowing the actual capacity of the tank will be most helpful in selecting the most fit "common" octopus species for your situation. "Common" also being a relative term.

#4 Water parameters should be that of typical saltwater in a fully marine environment. 1.026 salinity, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrates,

Is your school a high school or post high school? If your tanks are large, (like 10 feet across), you can construct lids out of pvc and netting or you can glue astroturf around the waterline (but this is not 100% octoproof). It would help to know a few more parameters such as tank size. Are the tanks indoor? What kind of sea water do you have (artificial or actual ocean water)?

high school,the tanks are indoors both tanks are 150 gallons we are going to build a mesh basket to put inside the tanks

my project is keeping them in the tank without a top, keeping them alive, and to learn what the different colors mean and if giving the octopus different toys makes it change different colors

You have to have a tank cover. The octopus WILL get out and most likely WILL die from drying out. Please put the covers on. For you and your octopus.

Why do you feel you must leave the top open? If heat is the issue, you can make a screened lid (look in the tank talk forum for how others have accomplished this). It it is for unattended photography, you can make a partial screen and partial plexiglass or glass lid. the octopus will not stay in the tank without a lid. The astro turf around the edge suggestion requires enough lowering of the water and edge treatment so that the arms of an octopus can't reach OVER the turf, not really practicle in anything but commercial tanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back