Common Behavior?

Trent1

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I was at an Aquarium today, and saw two Eledone Cirrhosa in a tank. Both appeared initially to be asleep, or at least resting in a (near) motionless state.

When some moron tapped on the tank's glass - The one nearest to us began to start moving.

One thing that it did, which was just a little unnerving I have to say(!) was to 'wriggle' the tips of all its tentacles rapidly against the pebble/sand floor of the tank, before 'climbing' up the glass wall, then propelling itself rapidly away towards the upper part of the tank.

I have a vague recollection that the rapid trembling of the tentacles is meaningful somehow.

Is it? And if so, how so? :razz:

b8a086stockinshop082Smalljpg

Stress would make sense, given that it was pretty busy and given that some people seemed intent on "interacting" with the octopus by tapping the glass :roll:

It also makes sense that shortly after that display, the octopus launched itself as far away from the viewing window as possible.

I think, also, since we were the last to leave that section of the aquarium - Before returning to see the tank "empty" - He/She might have been just crafty enough to go into hiding when no-one was there to see the exact hiding place! :biggrin2:

The aquarium itself (Visitor stupidity notwithstanding...), though, I should point out isn't a "for profit" organization as such. Any creature or species that they can return to the Sea, they will return to the Sea.

A lot of the animals they have to show, and those they have behind the scenes, to care for - Were donated by fishermen who'd caught the wrong catch! They're brought in for research, care and feeding.

I like that! :razz: It's not a money spinning freak show - It's a way for the fish and mollusks etc. to pay for their short-term bed and board! :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back