Colossal Squid (Mesonychoteuthis) Pictures

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

... and Kat, not sure whether you realise this yet (prolly do), but you've just developed a new theory in your last post ....

Once you've defrosted (she's currently frozen to the heater) I'll come chat.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Tintenfisch said:
..... Arms IV have to be longest because they have 20-22 proximal suckers (as well as more hooks in the mid-arm series than the other arms), whereas the other arms mostly have 14-18. And since Arms IV in both larger specimens have fewer distal suckers than any other arm, and are markedly shorter, yes, there has to be a change in the proportions as the animal matures.
Hey K, just what were the ASC's for the 4 arms on the large specimen of 2003?

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Arm I length (R / L): 1040 / 1018
Proximal suckers: 15 / 14
Hooks: 7 / 14
Distal suckers: 136 / 139
Arm II length (R / L): 1061 / 1095
Proximal suckers: 15 / 14
Hooks: 10 / 9
Distal suckers: 136 / 136
Arm III length (R / L): 1152 / 1046
Proximal suckers: 18 / 18
Hooks: 11 / 10
Distal suckers: 138 / 136
Arm IV length (R/L): 870 / 852
Proximal suckers: 22 / 22
Hooks: 19 / 19
Distal suckers: 107 / 98

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Sneak preview! Coming soon (well, depends on the reviewers, really) to a journal near you... :wink:

ABSTRACT

The ‘colossal’ cranchiid squid Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni Robson is believed to attain the largest size of any Recent cephalopod. However, due to lack of material, and the fragmentary, partially digested or juvenile nature of almost every hitherto reported specimen, the biology and morphology of this species have remained poorly known. Herein several new specimens are described, including a recently captured subadult female from the Ross Sea (Antarctica), an immature female from Macquarie Island (southern Tasman Sea), severed tentacles recovered from Antarctic Toothfish long-lines (Antarctica), and additional beaks recovered from stomach contents of Antarctic Toothfish, and sperm whales stranded on the West Coast near Auckland. This novel material enables a redescription of this species based on subadult characteristics and character states, and confirms its status as the largest of Recent cephalopod taxa. The diet and known ecology of Mesonychoteuthis are also reviewed and discussed, with comments on its role in the diet of sperm whales and other predators in the Antarctic.

crab

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any likelihood of this paper (which I'd dearly love to read) being published somewhere on the web, or is it confined to journals that I am, unfortunately, not likely to be able to get my hands on very easily?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeppelin

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan