Colorvision

From what I've heard, they're colorblind. That's supposed to be why their clor change repetoire is so amazing.

We're not too sure, but we think that they see colours in different shades of grey, to match they put on the same colours as what they see. But its a theory and we're not 100% sure.

I believe I saw a reference to a recent investigation showing that octopuses could distinguish between blue and pink.

At any rate, I think we'll be hearing more about this - there has to be some way they can match colors around them so well, and grays won't do it! Those of you who have kept octopuses know that they can disappear by matching the rock around them, even when it's colorful with coralline algae.

Nancy

I am by no means a science major, but if I remember correctly from my days in Bio 1 and Bio 2, an Octopus's/Squid's eyes are just as complex as the human eye. Based on that, we do know for sure that their eyes are light sensitive and are definitely able to see in black and white. And if I'm know mistaken, they are only able to change to colors because they see on a gray scale. But nobody knows everything...

If I'm wrong about this, let me know!
Ciao!
:rainbow:

nocolor

Octopus eyes can only see in black and white, at least thats what I've heard. They do, however, have pretty good night vision. And I believe they have some sort of sensors that work with the chromataphores. :?:

Re: nocolor

Architeuthis said:
Octopus eyes can only see in black and white, at least thats what I've heard. They do, however, have pretty good night vision. And I believe they have some sort of sensors that work with the chromataphores. :?:

I have also read/seen the claim that cephalopods can only see in black and white, although I haven't heard of any "sensors that work with the cromataphores"; I know that cuttlefish use their eyesight to match the environment-- blind cuttlefish lose their camouflage abilities. There is some TV show that demonstrates that they can only match the texture, rather than the color, when put in a tank with garish yellow and blue goldfish-bowl rocks.

More for the vision thread, though, it has been shown that octopi, at least, can see polarization of light... if I remember right, there were also experiments that showed that they could distinguish between horizontal and vertical lines ( - | ) but not left-diagonal and right-diagonal ( / \ ).

Apparently octopuses can distinguish only certain colours, to them, red and green look the same. Probably a reason why you don't see live green octos.

Well, to say that any animal is "color-blind" is a rather misleading statement...early dissections theorized that since non H.sapiens eyes don't have the same structure, of course the eye must be more primitive or lacking the ability to see in colour.
I can't say much about cephalopod eyes...I never dissected one (spent all my semester lab time on the muscle structure of loligo beaks) , but I have found out that a lot of "accepted" truths are based in broo-hoo-ha.
I am sure one of our academics can put this issue to rest. :grad:
greg

Hehe...BOE, we should put you in a tank and see if you can change your skin texture too! What a great superhero you would be!
"It's Cuttleman!"

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back