College kid setting up his first octopus tank!!!

DWhatley;184185 said:
I keep thinking about what I might have that I could (or sweet talk Neal into) convert to something that would hang on and overflow into the sump. .

I used one of those square acrylic specific containers, cut a notch out of the top and siliconed it to the back and just have it overflow into there then drain into the sump via a bulkhead I put on the bottom of the container.

DWhatley;184185 said:
your thread has me actively trying to get creative.

I"m a college kid who has sleep problems, so I am costantly messing with something, and this hobby gives me unlimited ideas and things to mess with !!! Glad I can "inspire" you haha

Cuddlycuttlefsh;184190 said:
Ehh? A frog fish, those things can be aggressive:goofysca:.

I've had a sargassum angler for about a year and a half now, and I got a Fancy Gundrom Coral Croucher aobut three weeks ago to put in my 5 gallon. The croucher is a pansey, but also not a try frogfish I think. However my Sargassum angler has taken a bite out of my fingers from time to time, but only when I was hand feeding. They aren't so much agressive as if it fits in their mouth and they are hungry then they are going to eat it or at least try and eat it. :smile:

wlyon;184246 said:
I've had a sargassum angler for about a year and a half now, and I got a Fancy Gundrom Coral Croucher aobut three weeks ago to put in my 5 gallon. The croucher is a pansey, but also not a try frogfish I think. However my Sargassum angler has taken a bite out of my fingers from time to time, but only when I was hand feeding. They aren't so much agressive as if it fits in their mouth and they are hungry then they are going to eat it or at least try and eat it. :smile:

You have it in your dorm? Now I'd imagine your dorm is practically a mini zoo/aquarium :bonk:.

Cuddlycuttlefsh;184248 said:
You have it in your dorm? Now I'd imagine your dorm is practically a mini zoo/aquarium :bonk:.

haha, I had to move out of the dorms when my new RA discovered I had a 55 gallon aquarium in my on campus apartment. Now I have a house right off campus with two roommmates that also have fish tanks : )

8 saltwater tanks
1 macaw parrot
1 flying squirrel
3 dogs

its pretty fun : )

wlyon;184256 said:
haha, I had to move out of the dorms when my new RA discovered I had a 55 gallon aquarium in my on campus apartment. Now I have a house right off campus with two roommmates that also have fish tanks : )

8 saltwater tanks
1 macaw parrot
1 flying squirrel
3 dogs

its pretty fun : )

Well....actually I was thinking about bringing my pony up with me on the 14th floor. But, the elevator has a mass limit so I can't take any chances...same thing goes with the people who go to McDonnald's just around the corner....so yea:hmm:.

Cuddlycuttlefsh;184289 said:
Well....actually I was thinking about bringing my pony up with me on the 14th floor. But, the elevator has a mass limit so I can't take any chances...same thing goes with the people who go to McDonnald's just around the corner....so yea:hmm:.

I did manage to have my 55 gallon tank on the second floor of my on campus apartment right above my RAs bed who's apartment was below mine. My original RA loved my tank and loved feeding my eel and lionfish. When he graduated and I got a new RA I was reported the very next day : ) Since it was almost the end of the semester they let me slide but I decided to not push the envelope and moved to a house off campus giving me room for more and much bigger tanks : )

yeeeeaaaaaah, putting tanks on multiple stories can be really annoying and also it depends on what kind of room mate you get......some don't tolerate scat on the floor :nyah:

lol.....the next time I put another tank on 14th floor it's the end of 2012 hahahahaha.

Ok so I had a lot of dry sand and rock to use in my new octo tank and decided it would be a smart idea to cure it and let that tank cycle before I hooked it into my big system. However now I have a whole lot of rock, sand and saltwater in my UNDRILLED tank. I can easily remove the water and rock but don't want to mess with the sand. Has anyone ever drilled a tank on the side while the tank is sitting in the upright position and is that just going to be a really bad idea all together?

Sorry, but I would not even drill an acrylic tank with anything that will remain in the tank. Drilling produces very tiny particles and they need to be removed.

Additionally, to drill a glass tank you need the surface being drilled to lay flat. The most successful way I know of is to build a dam (we use plumbers putty) around your drilling hole and fill it with water, not something you can do with a surface perpendicular to the floor.

haha, I didn't even think about random glass particles. I was just wondering about the whole drilling an upright surface, thank you for pointing that out.

I just finished drilling a bunch of tanks for my store so I think I am good to go with practice to drill one of my personal tanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back