• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

collecting?

fishkid6692

Wonderpus
Registered
i've heard about people collecting things from tidepools and other things and i was wondering where the closes place to connecticut i can do this?
does anyone know a good spot around connecticut? if so what have you collected from them?

I live in Virginia, so..., lets see, good tide pools I've been to, If your ever in Georgia, theres quite a few barier islands off the coast of savannah that you can only get to by boat, I have found large blue crabs, hermit crabs, squid, filefish, stone crabs, the occasional jellyfish, some pretty big shrimp, an assorment of small fish, anemones, barnacles, and oysters in them. Chincoteague, off the coast of virginia, doesnt have tide pools per say, but ive caught sea horses, blue crabs, some fish, etc. while wading along the beach. I have heard that there is a cove in Rhode Island that has some good tide pools, but for the most part, the east coast isn't a very good place foor tide pools.

Should be tons...

There aren't as many classic tide pools with high diversity of invert life, like I'm used to on the west coast, but there are many spots where at low tide you can collect. I am in the S.E.CT area and we collect European and Asian shore crabs (Carcinus maenas and Hemigrapsus sanguineus) from the intertidal rocky shore. Other species can be collected in calm beaches/estuaries including Blue, Rock, Jonah, Porcelain and Hermit crabs. There are also several variety of marsh and estuarine shrimps which can be collected with little to no wading. I am not sure of limits/licenses required forany of the latter species, so be sure to check CT.gov. Asian shore crabs are a major invasive species that breed like mad with no regulations in place to protect them that I know of.

:welcome: to TONMO, and thanks for the informational first post!

About needing a permit to collect, check with your dept. of land & natural resources (or similar branch). i highly doubt that you can get arrested for somthing as minor as collecting w/o a permit. (unless you were in a sanctuary) down here they just slap you with a fine.

littlemarley;110660 said:
About needing a permit to collect, check with your dept. of land & natural resources (or similar branch). i highly doubt that you can get arrested for somthing as minor as collecting w/o a permit. (unless you were in a sanctuary) down here they just slap you with a fine.

I'm overcautious......you can in NZ!

j

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back