• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Coldwater Marine Setup in the Garage

Fishy

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi,
Due to space problems inside my house and the unreliability of octopus species in the fish trade, I have been searching for alternate methods, and after visiting the Marine Biological Laboratory, I think I have found an answer. Their temperate species were kept in tanks that were semi outside, under a shelter. So I have thought about setting up a cool temperate tank system for Eledone cirrhosa in my garage, using a very large, non metal tub. The substrate will be fine sand, with added kelp and rocks. The tank will be firmly covered in a transparent plastic, with fluorescent lighting during the day for the algae. A tank containing shore crabs, Carcinus puber will be implemented to provide food. In winter temperatures get down to 34F minimum, but with a heater I will keep the temperature at around 52F. What do you think about this arrangement?

I've done it in both Hawai'i and Southern California. I had a screen over the tank in Hawai'i (for cuttlefish) and a plexiglass cover for the one in California. How big is the tub? Are you sure that you need sand? Maybe you could just have live rocks... If you use live kelp, it will be hard to keep alive.

Hi,
I live in Plymouth, Southwest England. Our hottest temperatures in summer are around 75F, but with a fan I'm sure I can keep the water temperature down. Water temperature in summer around Plymouth reaches around 60F. In Autumn it can reach 70F. Eledone cirrhosa is found in intertidal areas so it can probably tolerate a bit of temperature fluctuation anyway. It can also be found in the mediterranean so it can tolerate warmer water anyway. I just need to find a large tub and a suitable protein skimmer and I'll start building the setup. Luckily for me I should get the tank up and running for spring. I also considering rearing Sepia officinalis instead from eggs washed ashore.

If your reason for keeping these is enjoyment, are you going to be happy with it out in the garage? We considered doing something similar in our basement for raising animals once but my "pets" are kept about the house where I see them frequently without special efforts to go visit.

Hi,
The garage is connected to the house by a door, its just like another room. The reason I want to keep one in the garage is because I can give it the best possible habitat there, instead of making it uncomfortable inside for my enjoyment.
Thanks,
James

It is not too difficult to install/hang fluorescent bulbs and they have some that are plugin (or you can add a plug to the bare wired ones) and are decent sized :sagrin: My aquarium wet room is in a section of the garage (my car is small so there is room in front of the car for a sink and DI unit :razz:) so we have made a few modifications :biggrin2:

Looks like I may have found a large tank (580 litres / 150 US gallons), complete with an external filter, internal sponge filters, temperature control system, lights and UV steriliser for around £200, which is amazing in my opinion. Hopefully I should be able to cycle the tank for a few months with some cushion stars, then buy a protein skimmer and have the tank ready for spring!
Thanks

Here it is, currently a freshwater setup. I have to drive 105 miles to get it but its definitely worth it at that price!

Attachments

• conv_294850.jpg
    conv_294850.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 76
I definitely will swap the UV steriliser! Is it absolutely necessary for a RO unit? My plan is to fill the tank with rainwater, use a pH changer and put a calcium buffer in the tank, hopefully this should combat the metal ion problem. Would that be a good idea? Also, if I collected wild rocks for my temperate setup would that be the equivalent of tropical live rock? I am aware of pollutants etc, but Octopus vulgaris can be found around beach I am planning to collect them from, so pollution can't be much of an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back