• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Cold Water Ceph Needed

I'm looking for a temperate cephalopod species that is naturally found along the northern pacific coast of North America/Alaska/Canada that can tolerate temeratures between 50-55 degrees F. Does anyone have any ideas other than E. Dofleini and O. Rubescens?

I keep O. rubescens at 15 C. It is pushing it a bit, but we also keep O. bimaculoides at 15 C along with O. micropyrus. This equates to winter temperatures in the northern part of their range.

Roy

The exhibit they will be going into is a 200 gallon cube with plenty of rock to hide under. I think O. Micropyrus will be a bit too small. Does O. Bimaculoides reach British Columbia?

skywindsurfer;173910 said:
The exhibit they will be going into is a 200 gallon cube with plenty of rock to hide under. I think O. Micropyrus will be a bit too small. Does O. Bimaculoides reach British Columbia?

skywindsurfer;173911 said:
We are also looking for S. Latimanus for another exhibit. Do you know where to get them?

And yet youre not at liberty to say lol.

I am not aware of any S. latimanus available at this time. There were eggs available when I got mine a month or two ago, but not anymore.

There is an octopus that is common along parts of the British and Scottish coast, called the Lesser Octopus (or curled octopus) Eledone cirrhosa. One location where it is found in Scottland, St. Abbs, has water temps between 38 and 56 degrees F, (3 - 13 c) and so it would probably love 50-55 degrees. I understand that they are about bimac sized.

skywindsurfer;174023 said:
Cool thanks. I've heard of that species in Scotland but not British columbia. Do you know how it made its way to the north pacific?

British Colombia? The St. Abbs I'm talking about is in Scottland. As a native of Scottland, Eledone cirrhosa holds a UK passport, and so could travel to Canada freely, but I don't think any have made that trip. I thought you were asking about any cold water species, are you only interested in natives of the eastern pacific?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back