cloverfield rumor

Ok there has been a lot of speculation on the net that the monster in the new JJ Abrams movie is Cthulhu. Personally i don't think we could be lucky enough to get a big budget Cthulhu movie but we can hope.
:cthulhu:

Well, Abrams' folks said at one point that it was an "American monster." I can't think of many American monsters in the popular imagination with the ability to rip off the Statue of Liberty's head.

If it is The Big C, would he leave Red Hook alone?

Clem

Ah, is this the 1/18/08 movie or something? I've only seen the trailer.

I really hope it's not Cthulhu; it looks a bit like a big budget nonsense action disaster movie like The Day After Tomorrow... I think the Great Old One demands more respect than that. :sad:

Ummm, given that the mere sight of Cthulhu is enough to drive most people insane, would putting himon the big screen really be all that good an idea? :wink:

Photo and Video Storage | Photobucket

I think it is a giant Mr. Krabs. He is angry that so many people are eating Krabby Patties for free. :P

Anyways, someone played with the latest HD trailer for the movie. Definitely has back legs, however my gut tells me it is a sea monster. However when plot rumors were coming out for this movie back in July, people were calling it "the Parasite." Movie was suppose to be an alien monster that invaded New York. Who knows. I'm going to down about 50 motion sickness pills before I see this movie. hah!

Does anyone remember that sort of spoof film set in some American city with a giant pterasaur thing? I think it was meant to be like The BEast from 10billion Gazillion Fathoms and stuff like that, possibly made in the 70s.

Maybe it's a sequel to the American Godzilla??

http://www.cloverfieldnews.com/2007/11/23/tagruato-website-is-getting-a-little-strange/

Seems like one of Cloverfield's viral hellspawn tagruato.jp has been supposedly hacked, well, but that's not the point. But what is important is that if you click on the link, the picture (which was displayed) shows 4 sea creatures. One of which seems like a dumbo octopus of some sort. A deep-sea angler fish, a crab and a jellyfish can also be seen in the picture, along with a massive wave.

On semi-related news, a scan of what seems to be a article from tagruato's product suggests something about a new substance that will theoretically enhance strength,increase soft muscle growth, sharpen eyesight, better digestion and whatnot.

Tagruato.jp seems to be a deep sea mining company, one of the drills (Chuai - Does that mean something?) is the only way that does not have a estimated recoverable resource while all the other ways. Another thing, it's located onh the Mid-Atlantic Ridge..which would be pretty close to New York if you're looking for the closest bit of land.

Invasion of giant dumbo octos?

Graeme;105656 said:
Does anyone remember that sort of spoof film set in some American city with a giant pterasaur thing? I think it was meant to be like The BEast from 10billion Gazillion Fathoms and stuff like that, possibly made in the 70s.
Hi Graeme,

Do you mean "Q: The Winged Serpent?" MST3K would've had fun with that one. It's not unfunny on its own merits, but could still use a little help.

Cheers,
Clem

Clem;105883 said:
Hi Graeme,

Do you mean "Q: The Winged Serpent?" MST3K would've had fun with that one. It's not unfunny on its own merits, but could still use a little help.

Cheers,
Clem

I LOVE that movie. I'm a big fan of Larry Cohen's writing, and that one was hilarious. A small-time hood (Michael Moriarty) stumbles upon Quetzalcoatl's egg and then watches as it hatches (in the tower of the Chrysler Building), and starts leading other gangsters he owes money to up there to let the monster finish them off (which is exactly what I would do with a God-spawned monster, should I owe the Mafia money. Always pays to be practical). Great B-movie. Plus, David Carradine's in it. How can anybody not go rent this?

chrono_war01;106253 said:
I doubt this really belongs in the Cthulhu section, since JJ Abrams himself said it's not Cthulhu.

All giant critters attacking cities rightfully belong here in the Cthulhu forum. There's no other section of this site where they would belong.

Well, here's a distillation of what I've been seeing on various "Cloverfield" discussion pages, including reports from people who claim to have seen preview screenings. POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT! (Select following text to make it visible.). The monster is roughly Godzilla-sized, and first appears in the mid-Atlantic, where it destroys a deep-sea drilling platform. It has six or more limbs and a "whale-like" head. It's underbelly is covered with large parasitic arthropods, which drop off once the host moves onto the island of Manhattan. While the host monster smashes the city, the arthropods reproduce by injecting wee arthropods into human hosts.

Sounds like a pretty good monster to me, in part because it sounds a bit like the creature in Mike Mignola's "Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm" comics. If the monster's initial appearance is as described, it certainly nods to The Big C, and could be considered Lovecraftian in much the same way that "Alien" was Lovecraftian.

I wasn't crazy about "Blair Witch Project," mostly because the actors were quite limited, but I did appreciate its story structure and economy of style. I hope "Cloverfield" lives up to its potential, and doesn't become a case-study of how a viral marketing campaign can surpass in achievement what it tries to sell.

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back