cloverfield rumor

At last, a "Cloverfield" update that explicitly involves squid.

Seems that there's a manga tie-in to the movie, a short Japanese comic that gives a bit of backstory that won't be in the film. It's all in Japanese, crosscutting between some apprehensive young folks in Japan and a flotilla of ships at sea, which are hauling in...something. You can view the whole thing online. Just remember that manga read back to front.

Attached is the first page of the manga. The squid doesn't like what's coming up. The last page is weirdly creepy.

Clem

ps: Remember how the "Animatrix" anime tie-in to the second and third "Matrix" films was far better than either of those films? I hope this manga doesn't present us with a similar scenario.

Attachments

• conv_292161.jpg
    conv_292161.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 93
Um guys, ...?

I hate to tell you this, but it's Godzilla. Seriously. They have already said that he's "fifty stories high". It practically from the cartoon song in the eighties.

I bet you that come Friday, they are going to replace the posters with a Godzilla poster. It's actually a novel approach. Instead of getting a bunch of anti-hype, they change the name and release the real name day of.

Watch and see...

Donnerboy, I've read a few legit reviews of "Cloverfield" and while the reviewers all have difficulty describing exactly what the monster looks like, the commonalities in the descriptions are at odds with the Big G. In fact, and in accordance with hints dropped early on in the "Cloverfield" viral marketing, the creature design suggests a gigantic mash-up of dumbo octopus, angler fish and deep-sea crab. Bizarre stuff.

Clem

ps: Here's a legit review by my friend Joe, posted this morning. No spoilers.

"A monster in midtown? Ok, I'll buy it. But walk underground from Spring St to 59th? That's just silly." :biggrin2:

Yeah, that's a good line. I'm in agreement with Joe's film reviews roughly 75% of the time, and we've complained about the scarcity of decent monster movies in recent years.

I may try to see "Cloverfield" tomorrow, in which case I'll post some sort of review.

Clem

I have to say that the latest trailer shows what Clem thinks are parasites falling haphazardly off the monster attacking some scream queen in a backlit tent, that bring bad sketches of chupacabra's to mind. Go see the movie, Adam Clem Kenobi, you're our only hope :smile:

Donnerboy;108460 said:
Um guys, ...?

I hate to tell you this, but it's Godzilla. Seriously. They have already said that he's "fifty stories high". It practically from the cartoon song in the eighties.

I bet you that come Friday, they are going to replace the posters with a Godzilla poster. It's actually a novel approach. Instead of getting a bunch of anti-hype, they change the name and release the real name day of.

Watch and see...

OK,

I am completely wrong. Friends went to see it and supposedly it is right up our alley. No more of a spoiler than that. Although they said several people bordered on getting nauseous. Not from gore, but from the entirety of the movie shot like it's a kid running with a beta-cam.

Apparently, it's a Godzilla styled movie, but with all of the footage from the little guys about to get stepped point-of-view.

It's basically a Western Kaiju flick shot in first-person perspective then?

That makes it sound really bad :lol: Western and Kaiju are two words that should never go together :lol:

Haven't seen the movie yet, other priorities at the moment, but I am 99% certain that it doesn't look like that. That looks like speculative fan art to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back